When One News Isn't Enough

I quickly parked wherever is closest to the entrance and hopped off the car. It was almost deserted, and the cold air was blowing gently. When I was about to head to the doors, I bumped into Mark. He was leaning on the wall, smoking and calming himself down. His face looked like he had not gotten any sleep for days. “How hot was the coffee?” I started; he turned his head towards my direction and lifted his shirt up a little.

“Hot enough.” He chuckled; it was red all right.

“How’s everyone else?” I leaned next to him and absentmindedly stared at his cigarette,

“Isom got a bruise, Sean busted his lips, you know what happened to Pontius and Cubbie, Andrew and Dylan wasn’t in the bus, how lucky.”

“Where are they?”

“They took off first.” He shrugged, “And the driver’s okay, just a cut in his arm.”

“How bad is Pontius?”

“I can’t tell yet.” He studied his cigarette, then my face. “Why the face?”

“What do you mean?”

“Something’s wrong.”

“How can you tell?”

“Do I look blind to you?” He retorted, “Tell me what’s wrong.”

“Fine.” I sighed, “I have to go back to London for a while, I’m leaving in a few days.”

“What? Why?”

“Got a call from Andy earlier today. He said that he twisted his ankle and his sinusitis relapsed… And that it needs to get operated.”

“You must be joking!”

“Do I look like I’m joking?” I frowned,

“I’m sorry.” He mumbled. I sighed again and let myself slide down to the floor, my knees were suddenly wobbly.

“I can’t take it! I’ve never experienced anything like this!” I rested my forehead on my knees and cried in frustration. “First Andy, and now you guys? What’s next? Myself?”

“Don’t say that, life can be a bumpy ride.” He sat down next to me,

“Life is an asshole.” I mumbled, still facing down.

“Hey, I’m here.” Mark lifted my head up, “Everyone has to go through this path from time to time. It’s okay, it will be over.”

“It better be.”

“Don’t worry, it will.” He put a protective arm around me and rubbed my arm with his thumb. “Don’t tell the rest, especially Pontius and your brother.”

“What?” He scanned the surroundings before looking at me. He pulled out his pack and offered me one, “It’s just the two of us. You need it, I can tell.”

“You’re offering me one?”

“Don’t be such a hypocrite, I know you’ve been dying to have one.”

“You’re calling me a hypocrite?” I scoffed, slapping his arm.

“Maybe.”

“Keep this between the two of us.” I threatened as I pulled one out,

“Don’t worry.” He pulled his lighter out and lighted my cigarette, “Everything will be alright, you just gotta keep calm.” I nodded and inhaled deeply, letting the toxics enter my body and calm my nerves. “So how long are you going to be in London?”

“I don’t know, maybe a month.” I huffed.

“At least you’re going to come back, right?”