You Can't Hide The Truth

My eyes were opened by force and a flashlight blinded me. I flinched and blinked my vision back to focus. I was still wheezing and barely breathing. I could see the white ceiling of the hospital and I could see different faces of people towering above me. I noticed that I was in a gurney, being wheeled to the emergency room. Pontius still had his hand on mine, “Hey, you’re in good hands now.” He smiled. Mark and Sean were helping the nurse wheel me down to the emergency room.  

            “Can somebody explain what happened?” The nurse asked,

            “I don’t know, she just stopped breathing and then started to wheeze.” Pontius replied,

            “And then her lips turned blue.” Sean added, “Why is that?”

            “I can’t tell yet, but we’re going to have to run some tests on her first.” The nursed informed as I was placed on a station next to someone who was either sleeping or unconscious. “We’re going to need a doctor on station four!” The nurse announced,

            “Is she going to be okay?” Mark finally asked,

            “Sure.” The nurse reluctantly replied, “You don’t have to worry, sir.”

            “Okay, what do we have here?” The doctor emerged out of nowhere,

            “They just brought her in.” The nurse explained,

            “We’re going to have to run some tests on her, stat!” The doctor snapped,

            “If you gentlemen would please step outside and wait there?” The nurse shooed them away in the most polite way possible and closed the curtains.

            “Can you talk?” The doctor asked, I just shook my head. He nodded understandingly and stuck his stethoscope on my chest. The cold metal pressing against my chest just made everything a lot worst. I grimaced, clutching on the sheet of the bed. “We’re going to need to intubate her.” He told the nurse. Not again, mental sigh.

            “Yes, doc.” She trotted outside and disappeared for a while. The doctor looked down at me,

            “How many times have you had this?” He asked and I only managed to reply by holding up six fingers, “This is your sixth?” I nodded, “So you’re aware that you’re chronic asthmatic?” I nodded and he nodded back. Two nurses later came in, the one that wheeled me in earlier and another one. They drugged me with painkillers until I went totally numb, but still conscious. After they were sure I was numb, the doctor got the tube ready. I squinted my eyes, doubting to look at what they were doing to me.

            “I’m sorry, sweetie.” I heard the nurse say, and I could feel both of them restraining my arms and legs. The doctor slowly slid the tube in my mouth and down my throat. It started to pump oxygen into my lungs and I could feel it. I could feel my collapsed lungs expanding as oxygen rushed in with such force. They secured the tube by taping it to the side of my mouth.

            “All set!” The doctor smiled triumphantly, “So, are they friends of yours?” I nodded, unable to speak with the tube on my mouth. “Are they aware of your condition?” I hesitantly shook my head, “Do you want me to explain it to them for you?” I shook my head, “Okay, go and have a rest. I might keep you for a few hours and send you home if your condition improves.” I nodded and he left with the two nurses following him. The last nurse drew the curtains open,

            “How is she?” Pontius jolted to the nurse,

            “She’s okay now, you guys brought her in just in time.”