Mark Foster And His Feelings

We all turned and watched Pontius for a moment, hoping that he would wake up. “Pontius?” Mark leaned close to Pontius, “Get up, we’re home.” My feet made its way next to Mark, it just automatically did. Mark put his arm around me, and I held on to his dangling hand. “Look, Ally’s right here.”

“Hey, it’s great seeing you again.” I stammered,

“Everything is okay now, we’re all fine.” Cubbie mumbled,

“Pontius, wake up.” Mark pleaded; I have never seen Mark like this. What is going on in here?

“Hey, are you okay?” I turned him away from Pontius, “I know, it hurts to see Pontius like this. He’s a guy full of liveliness and weird things, and then this happened. We’re all feeling the same here. Like you said, life is a bumpy ride.”

“Like you said, life is an asshole.” He muttered,

“It is, but you’re frankly more of an asshole compared to life itself.” I blurted and chuckled, “He’s going to be fine, his guns are almost as big as my math textbook, so don’t worry.” I patted his shoulder, he snorted and chuckled. “Hey, I made you laugh.”

“Thanks for those comforting words.” He scoffed,

“That’s what I’m here for.” I smiled. He stole a quick glance at lifeless Pontius, “Don’t look at him like that.”

“I can’t help it.”

“Mark, it’s okay.” Cubbie tried to comfort him from afar; he was slumping at the armrest of the couch. I was not sure what was going to happen, but I played along. Mark shrugged my lingering hands off his shoulders and stood next to Pontius,

“Mark Pontius, you gotta wake up! Please, you have to!” He shouted in desperation. I pulled Mark away and leaned him on the wall,

“Will you calm down?” I snapped,

“He’s my best friend! I don’t want him to be like this! This shouldn’t happen!” His voice all shaky and stuff. I was the only one capable of doing this, Cubbie and Isom can’t really do it in their state, and I bet you a million bucks that Mark would just get distracted by Sean’s busted lips.

“I get it, but flipping out won’t help.”

“Cubbie, why did you let him be in the top bunk?” He grumbled, causing Cubbie to snap his head towards Mark in shock, “If he wasn’t there, this wouldn’t happen!”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Sean exclaimed, “It’s not Cubbie’s fault, it’s nobody’s fault.”

“Mark, calm down.” Isom softly said,

“Mark, I’m sorry.” Cubbie said, almost a whisper. “I could’ve saved him, I could’ve did something.”

“You should have.” His eyes turned dark,

“Hey!” I shoved Mark to the wall, “It’s not Cubbie’s fault, okay? It was an accident. What is wrong with you?”

“Can’t you see what happened to Pontius?”

“But there’s no need to act like this! Don’t act like this, Mark…”

“No Cubbie, you’re hurt already.” Isom said to Cubbie,

“This must be the side effect of an accident.” Sean stated, which is possibly true. “For the hundredth time, it’s nobody’s fault.”

“Sean, call Rebecca.” I said,

“No!” Cubbie exclaimed,

“She needs to know, or she’s going to be even more surprised when you get home with a dislocated shoulder. You need to let her know, Cubbie.”

“I’ll just text her.”

“Okay.” I sighed. I later turned my attention to Mark, “He’s going to be okay. He could hear you, remember?”

“That’s just bullshit, plain bullshit.”

“What if he did hear you say those things?” I watched his eyes, as it turned watery, “Mark, please, just don’t.”

“You said he could hear me?” He shrugged my hands off and brushed past me, “Mark Pontius, I need you.” He mumbled, “Don’t die on me, man. We need you, I need you.”

“He’s not going to die.” I pulled him away from Pontius for the second time, “Stop it, and don’t let him hear you like this.” His lips started to quiver microscopically, and I tightened my grip on his shoulders. He nodded and dropped his head on my shoulder; I started to rub his back as he squeezed me. “Be strong for him.” Why was Mark acting like this? I was a little surprised that he could be all emotional for Pontius.

“I did a lot of bad things-” He mumbled and suddenly stopped in midsentence,

“I’m sorry, but do you want me to slap you in the face? Nothing’s wrong with him! He’s in sleeping mode… He’s going to be okay…” I scoffed,

“Mark?” Isom squeaked softly. I lifted his head up and my jaw nearly dropped. His blue eyes were red and puffy and his cheeks were lined with tearstains. He swallowed painfully, drilling his eyes into mine. I just stood there, studying his messy face.

“I’m sorry.” His voice trembling badly,

“It’s all going to be okay.” I said, wiping his cheek and fixing his messy bangs, “Come on, man up.” He rubbed his eye with his thumb, and then pressed his face on my shoulder. Both of us just stood there in silence, except for the machine that reads Pontius’s heartbeat, which was pretty scary to me.

“He’s like my little brother, I can’t see him like this.”

“None of us can.” I replied, and we all fell back into silence. I directed him to the couch with an arm around him. He slammed himself next to Cubbie, and then I sat next to him. It was only around five in the morning. Cubbie hung his good arm around Mark while he pressed the bridge of his nose and lolled backwards.

“I’m sorry.” Mark repeated,

“Don’t be.” Cubbie nudged his leg. We fell into silence, not being able to come up with something else to say. Cubbie sunk in his seat with his legs stretched out, Mark’s cheek rested on my head as I leaned on his shoulder, Sean was on a chair with his legs on Isom’s chair, and Isom the same thing with Sean. It took us a while to finally fell asleep, we needed that.