Family Problems

My phone started to vibrate rapidly in my pocket, so I just stepped outside to take it. I saw the caller ID and it was mom, good news or bad? I thought to myself. I leaned on the white wall near the end of the long and narrow hallway. “Hello?” I said, not really sure on how I should sound like.

“Ally…” Her voice was firm and she sounded pissed, bad news it is. I have only heard her talk in this tone twice in my whole life.

“Hi mom.” I murmured,

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I could feel the disappointment in her voice, but I was not sure why.

“Tell you what?”

“Your brother.” She coldly said,

“What?” I swallowed my pride and lied,

“Don’t lie to me, I can tell when my kids are lying to me!”

“But he told me not to tell you.” I said in my defense,

“He always does that, I’ll still know about it eventually.”

“How did you find out?” I whimpered in fear, a pang of guilt striking me in the gut.

“Your brother is not as smart as he thinks.”

“I’m sorry.” I apologized; I never made her feel like this.

“Why is it so hard for you guys to tell me that you need help? Why can’t you let me help?” The disappointment rose in her voice, while the guilt crushes my chest.

“I’m sorry.” What else can I say? I was out of words.

“Mom, it’s not her fault!” A familiar voice said in the background,

“Mom, are you in London?” I asked, feeling a lot guiltier. I have never feel this guilty my whole life,

“I just got here, your brother is a mess right now!”

“Mom, I’m sorry. I should’ve told you about Andy.”

“This is my entire fault, I made her keep it a secret.” Andy’s voice ringing in my ear, was I on speaker?

“Why are you keeping secrets from me? Andrew, I am your mother!” She just used ‘Andrew’ on him. Are they getting into a fight? For the hundredth time?

“Mom, I don’t want you to worry about me! I can take care of myself!”

“Andrew, look at yourself!” She scolded, almost shouting.

“Mom?” I whimpered, not sure what was going on all the way back there, all the way across the Atlantic Ocean.

“How many times have you done this, Andrew?” How many times has she called Andy with ‘Andrew’? “Why did you have to drag your sister along?”

“I- I…” Andy stuttered, unable to continue.

“She is your little sister, you’re not supposed to make her do these things!” I remembered that mom and Andy would sometimes get into small fights like this, and I will always have to be the peacemaker. “I don’t know what she’s doing in LA right now, and that scares me. What if she’s in trouble and she doesn’t tell any of us?”

“But uncle Ben and Josh are in San Diego.” Andy said, “At least she has someone…”

“I’m fine, mom.” I mumbled,

“I’m sorry…” He murmured. I think they forgot that I was still on the line, and I could listen to everything they were saying. This is all too emotional, I really hate listening to them argue.