The Paparazzi

By the time I got to the car, the pressure came crashing back. It was like devilish whispers that seemed to be repeating and ringing in my head, “Do you need another?” Mark asked, leaning on the car.

“I don’t know.” I said, leaning next to him. “It’s coming back.”

“I’m sorry for being such a bad influence.” He mumbled and handed me a cigarette, “But this is my best way to help you.”

“It’s alright, it’s not your fault.”

“You look really confused and stressed out, I can tell.”

“It’s just that I’ve never got two news in one day, life was flat back then.”

“Since when is life flat?” He turned his head towards my face, and I just shrugged. “You gotta keep your chin up and deal with it. Life kicks you in the shins, but you gotta kick it back!”

“Some words, Foster.” I chuckled, lighting the cigarette. “But seriously, it’s my fault that this happened.”

“Your fault? How is getting a hereditary disease your fault? How is getting a call at three in the morning about an accident your fault?” He sounded really annoyed with me, I like annoying him sometimes.

“He wasted his time taking care of me that he forgot about himself, that’s a really stupid thing to do. Cubbie made himself promise that he’d call me if anything happens, that’s also a stupid thing to do.”

“That is not your fault.” He stated and smacked me on the arm, “It’s okay, go home. Maybe it could be a way to pay back your brother, he needs you but he doesn’t want to admit it.”

“Okay.”

“Everything’s going to be fine, lift your chin up.” He wrapped an arm around me and lifted my chin up. I smiled at him, and he smiled back. I felt a lot better, to be honest, I really needed a shoulder to lean on.

“Hey, Mark?”

“Yes?”

“I think I should stop smoking.” I blurted,

“Me too.”

“So… This is our last… Deal?” I held my pinky up,

“No more smoking, deal!” He intertwined his pinky with mine,

“I’m thirsty.” I stated and stood up, “Do you want me to get you anything?”

“Anything.”

“Nothing?”

“Anything!”

            “Okay, I’ll be right back!” I stated, disposing the cigarette and headed towards a vending machine. I bought whatever was the cheapest, because I am a college student and I lack money. As I was going back to the car with Mark waiting, a few guys approached me. The first thing that came across my mind was the paparazzi because they were holding cameras and voice recorders. I looked away, pretending that they do not exist, but they had the guts to come to me and asked.

“Do you have any relationships with Mark Foster?” One of them asked,

“What?”  I lied, trying to slither free but they were blocking the way.

“Do you know him?”

“How long have you know him?”

“Does the rest of the band know you?” They were throwing me all these stupid questions but I did not answer anything,

“No, I don’t know them. Now leave me alone.” I scoffed, the atmosphere was uncomfortably loud. They kept on following every move that I made, so it was hard for me to go back to my car. Then the topic changed,