68. Bride-To-Be

Lady Josette Bracken

Age 18

(Aemond is 24... 6 years apart so nothing major but enyway.)

The throne room is in the emptiest state Alyssa has ever seen it in. The only ones present were the Queen, Aemond, Daeron, Helaena and Alyssa.

Alicent had asked about Aegon, why he wasn't there and where he was, but she couldn't give her an honest answer. After yesterday's events, Aegon had left in anger and had not returned during the night. She had been lying awake all night waiting for him, but he never came back.

I don't feel like spending the night with you.

That had been the only thing he said to her before he left, and now she hadn't seen him since and it fucking drew her insane. It had left her with a bad taste in her mouth and a heavy mind filled with guilt even though it wasn't actually her fault. But it was hard to explain to Aegon because he hardly gave her the space to explain.

They all stood in silence in the throne room, the slightest movement echoing and thus attracting attention.

Alyssa's eyes found Aemond standing tall with his usual expression, but there was something in them that had disappeared. It was so very difficult to explain, but it was as if a spark in his eye was gone and the emotions that were usually reflected in his eye despite the expression on his face was now all hidden by some invisible wall that he had put up.

Usually she would care, but right now he could have lost his last eye and she wouldn't give a damn. Selfish bastard, that's what he was. How the hell was it her fault that he's been walking around feeling the way he's felt all these years? How is it his fault that he goes around feeling sorry for himself for things that happened years ago and he didn't do a way to change it.

It wasn't his way, she thought, feeling her blood boil and her hands clenched together. Everything was always someone else's fault, he could never just own up to mistakes he had made or admit a mistake. No, it was all her fault, Aegon's fault, Alicent's fault. He would have blamed them for the weather even if he could

She had wanted to be his friend again, to regain the respect they once shared (or at least thought they shared) but he was the reason why Aegon was mad at her, the reason why he felt betrayed by her and the reason he wasn't there right now, whispering sweet nothing's in her ear while holding her hand.

Alyssa had never been someone who took a great interest in the faith, neither the old nor the new gods. Despite this, she was now praying that her marrige was not stained and ruined becuase of Aemond's selfish transgressions.