65. Eternal Nagging About Marriage

Aemond was, in most cases, a man who did not question what was asked of him, if given a task he would carry it out no matter what. But on this particular day, it didn't work out.

He found himself staring down at the endless letters and numbers among his papers and scrolls. It was simply tiring, that and his mother's talk about finding him a woman he can settle down with. Aemond felt like a fool, after almost eight years he still felt resentment towards his older brother along with his mother and father who wanted him married but they didn't marry him to the woman he wanted.

Sometimes he even questioned if he really still loved her, after this long most people would give up. Maybe his mother was right, maybe it was the best thing to marry someone and do his duty in order to maybe find the same happiness that Aegon was apparently able to bring Alyssa.

With a sigh, he put down his quill and paper and got up from the chair, which had begun to get uncomfortable considering how long he had been sitting in it. He picked up his seal from the table just to have something to fiddle with and walked over to the open window where he could hear his nephews and nieces laughing and playing. From there, he could also see Alyssa and the rest of the family. She observed how elegantly she sat on a blanket down on the grass with his youngest nephew, Rhaegar. While the rest of his family was in the garden attending some small event his mother had organized for all her grandchildren, he was alone in his chamber.

It was hard to even decide if that's what he wanted, something in him was telling him to go downstairs and spend time with his family but his pride wouldn't allow it. There was no point. Daeron and Helaena would sit and talk to each other about things that didn't concern or be of any interest to him, while Aegon and Alyssa would sit and show off their love like a newlywed fucking cuple. And it was draining.

The door knocked and he was led from his thoughts to reality. "Enter!" He called out to whoever it was that bothered him and put down his seal that he was playing around with.

His own servant, Eden entered the room, Boeing in his precence. She had been his personal servant for years now, and he was well pleased with her. She didn't move his things around, she didn't ask stupid questions, but she did what he asked and left, much to Aemond's delight.

"What is it?"

"Pardon me, my prince, but Sir Criston Cole asked me to remind you of your training session this afternoon."

It had completely escaped the prince's mind, and an afternoon with Sir Criston Cole was probably the last thing he had expected now. But it sounded better than sitting in there with those damn papers for another hour. "Tell him I'll be there shortly."

She left the room with her head low and closed the door behind her. He remained alone in his chamber and began to get ready for his training.

"Wow, where did you get that?" Alyssa pointed to the small sword that Aemond had placed on his table. She gazed at he sword in wonderment.

Aemond laughed at her reaction, she was a very obtimistic person in his eyes and one who gets excited over such little things as a small sword. One of the things he loved most about her.

"Sir Criston Cole gave it to me, he said I had progressed in my training and wanted to reward me for it." He was very proud of himself, neither Aegon nor any of his nephews had been given anything but a wooden sword, and he was glad that Alyssa was impressed by that, it was worth every bruise, he thought to himself.

She looked up at him with pleading eyes, "Please, Aemond, can I hold it, I beg you."

He was a little skeptical when asked to hold the sword, and the expression on his face showed his skepticism. "I don't think it's such a good idea, Aly."