Chapter 2: Day 1

I walked side by side with Miles as we made our way down the hall. Thankfully he didn't try to fill in the silence with small chit chat because I wasn't in the mood to talk. I remember being here two years ago, walking down the same hallway to be interviewed about my dads death. The Sargent started off asking me the basic questions like why my dad was at the bar that night or did he go with anybody else? All to which I responded with an I don't know. Because I really didn't, and I felt useless at that point.

Since I was a police officer at the time, getting ready to transition into homicide, I had access to some of the information including pictures of his dead body. When I first saw them, I couldn't stop staring. I wanted these pictures to be burned into my brain to remind myself what I had lost. Those pictures plague my nightmares. I wanted to solve this case, to find out what had happened to my dad but it was no use. After a week of investigating, the detectives came to the conclusion that his death had been an accident.

I shook my head to try to get that memory out. I can't think about that right now, I needed to focus. We had just reached the end of the hall and Miles opened the door for me that led into the offices. I wonder who my desk is going to be next to? Maybe Miles since we are both new.

The bright light met me first and I had to squint a little.

Miles: Wow It is bright in here.

Donald Wactor: Don't worry, we can always turn the lights down.

Donald Wactor smiled at us as he made his way toward us but he looked tired. His eye bags were heavy and you could tell that he needed a year worth of naps. But of course you are most likely going to be tired when you are a sergeant. I met Sergeant Donald Wactor when I was a high school senior and had shadowed one of his cases for my end of the year project. I also saw him throughout my years as a police officer. The last time I saw him, he was questioning me about my dad's death. I've always admired Sarge for all the hard work he has done. His hair is completely covered with white now, not gray but white as snow and the wrinkles are starting to be shown throughout his skin.

Valerie: Sarge.

Donald Wactor: Hello, Valerie. It's nice to see you again. How have you been?

Valerie: I've been doing as good as I can be. Thank you for allowing me to transfer over here.

Donald Wactor: Don't mention it. I was jumping with joy when you sent in the request. You know you're welcome here anytime Valerie.

Valerie: You jumping? I'm surprised you didn't have a back spasm with all that excitement.

Sarge laughed. He was one of the few people I actually felt comfortable with but I also had to remind myself that he's no longer someone I know and get along with but is now my boss. Sarge turned his attention to Miles, probably making the same realization as I had made.

Donald Wactor: It's nice to see you again Miles. You still look nervous from the first time we met.

Miles: Gosh, is it obvious that I'm nervous?

Valerie: Yes, it is.

Donald Wactor: Well don't just stand there let me show you to your desks and introduce you to the team. And here comes one of the members now, if it isn't the sunshine named Summer.

A girl with fiery red hair approached us. She had black rimmed square glasses and was shorter than me.

Summer Brooks: Good morning Sarge, you look like you've been here all night.