Chapter 22: Day 16

It's been 3 days since the BOLO has been released to the public.

We have gotten nothing.

It's like all of a sudden this mystery van never existed.

I just had a conversation with Sarge, at first I thought it was going to be about the mystery van but it turned out to be about the note that was given to me 4 days ago.

As I figured, there were no fingerprints on the note.

Jaxson also reported to all of us that he could not recover anything from the storage room.

I wish I could say that I was disappointed but I wasn't.

I knew from the minute I got the note that whoever wrote it was somebody who was clever and smart. They weren't going to allow themselves to get caught that easily.

I haven't gotten any other threatening notes since that day.

I hope it was a one-time thing but something in my stomach told me that it wasn't.

Sarge: My apologies Valerie. I will stop at nothing to find out who wrote you this note. I will not let this go away.

That's what Sarge had said to me this morning.

I appreciated that he was making an effort to help me feel safe and comfortable in my work environment but to be honest, I really didn't know how to feel.

I didn't want to give the note too much thought or power but I feel like I was doing exactly that by thinking about it and letting it consume my mind.

Jaxson: Valerie?

I can't help but step back a little bit by hearing Jaxson's voice right next to me.

Jaxson noticed my reaction and he also took a step back.

I didn't want him to think that I stepped back because of his proximity to me, he just took me by surprise.

I've been in my own mind so much that it's starting to affect me in real life.

Valerie: Do you need something?

I didn't mean to sound rude, I've just been caught off guard. I have been for a while now.

Jaxson's eyebrows pulled together like he couldn't believe what I just asked him.

Jaxson: I need the printer and you are standing in front of it.

It takes me a moment to register where I am.

For some reason I thought I was at my desk but it turns out I'm in front of the printer.

I had just finished printing fresh copies of the van ring picture and "be on the lookout posters".

How long have I been standing here for?

I tried my best not to feel embarrassed as I took another step back and allowed Jaxson to have the space to use the printer.

We haven't really talked since that day I found the note.

It still warmed me up of how much he has had my back recently even though he probably still strongly disliked me.