Chapter 4: Day 1

I stayed in the supply closet for five more minutes, making sure that Callum had actually left. I tried to walk back to my desk as normally as possible, keeping my face unreadable. Was Callum flirting with me like Summer said he would? Or was he maybe genuine about what he said?

I know I shouldn't care but a small part of me did. I did find Callum to be very attractive and... Wait no. I'm doing it again. I'm getting distracted and I'm getting to my own head. I need to remember what I'm here for.

I'm here for my dead father. My father who is no longer breathing. I remembered that I need to ask Sarge if I can look over the case, go through the evidence again. See if I can observe something that the detectives who were in charge of the case didn't. The case is already closed, I'm not asking him to reopen it but to just let me go through it. I can't reveal my true intentions to anybody just yet.

As I was coming to my desk, I looked at Summers and saw that Miles was there chatting with her and Kalvin was doing his own thing at his desk. Summer saw me and waved me over.

Summer: Hey girly, how are you?

Valerie: I'm doing good so far.

I'm not going to tell them what happened in the closet. I'm going to keep that to myself.

I looked at Miles.

Valerie: Where have you been?

Miles: I was looking for the bathroom and got lost. Finally found it and ended up giving myself a way too long pep talk.

Summer: Been there, done that.

Valerie: I hope you didn't let Jaxson discourage you Miles. He was unnecessarily cold.

Miles shook his head and started to talk but all of the sudden Summers radio strapped to the side of her hip went off. So did everyone else's. I had forgotten that I had a radio and gun strapped to my waist. She put the radio to her ear and I could hear Jaxson speaking but he sounded like he was running.

Miles: What is he saying?

Summer: The suspect is running away, he got into a car and doesn't seem like he's going to stop. Jaxson needs all back up.

Summer got up from her chair and looked at me.

Summer: We're up. Kalvin, you take Miles, Valerie rides with me.

Kalvin quickly got up from his chair, closing his computer and clutching it under his arm, he looked at Miles and gave him a single nod as if to tell Miles to follow him. Miles followed him and he turned back around to give me two thumbs up. Didn't this man know he's about to be in a police chase?

Just as we passed his office, Sarge stepped out, holding his radio like he just heard Jaxson's message.

Sarge: Time to go. Ray and Callum are busy speaking to the parents of a victim in another case so they aren't coming. Hope you are ready Valerie.

This wouldn't be my first or last police chase. The five of us went to the garage but hopped into different cars.

Summer: Let's go.

Summer pulled out of the garage and turned on the police lights and siren. We went a different direction from where Kalvin and Miles went. Sarge was in his own car and had also gone his own way.