Chapter 9: Day 2

Everything had slowed down after almost everyone left.

It was 12:58 PM. The event had already started and Sarge was about to give his speech.

I had been pretending to pay attention to my computer screen when really I was lost in thought. I decided to get up to get a bottle of water from the mini fridge when I noticed that Jaxson and I were the only ones here.

Valerie: Where is Summer and Kalvin?

Jaxson: They left around 45 minutes ago to go get lunch. You didn't notice?

I didn't. I've just been in my own head the entire time.

Valerie: No, not really.

Jaxson was leaning back in his chair looking at me while I still had the water in my hand.

Valerie: Do you want one?

Jaxson held up his own water bottle

Jaxson: Already got one.

I nodded. I could go back to my desk but I really didn't want to go back into my own mind. It got so scary there sometimes.

Talking to Jaxson seemed to irritate me more than scare me so might as well give it a try so I can be distracted.

Valerie: So that was your brother?

Jaxson: Anthony? Yeah that was.

Valerie: He seemed nice.

Jaxson: Nicer than me that's for sure.

Jaxson was trying to keep the conversation surface level.

Valerie: Do you guys live together?

Jaxson: I don't know why that's any of your concern.

Forget it. I was about to go right back to my desk and sit down.

Jaxson: Yea, we do. We split the rent. Even though I can technically pay for everything and much more, I want him to learn how to be an actual adult.

Was he actually talking to me? I didn't want to let this opportunity pass me by.

Valerie: Is he struggling? You don't have to tell me.

A minute of silence passed us and I was starting to think that he wasn't going to say anything.

Jaxson: Our parents abandoned me when I turned 18, kicked me out and forgot about me. Anthony and I thought that our parents wouldn't do the same to him. It was a stupid thought because they kicked him out and moved to a different country after he turned 18. He's been under my care ever since even if he is legal.

Valerie: That's very kind of you.

Jaxson: I care about him, even if we aren't technically related. He is my brother at the end of the day.

Valerie: And he doesn't have a job?

I don't know why but I was curious about Anthony. I didn't want to seem suspicious to Jaxson though.

Jax: Even though he's been having a tough time, he's been keeping up with paying the rent and buying groceries. He does small jobs, working for people, I don't know the specifics of it. I'm trying to help him find a solid job but he can never seem to keep one.