Chapter 7: Day 2

I need to get my hands on that case.

Me being here would be so pointless if this fell through.

There's a 50% chance my father could have been murdered. I was willing to put all my marbles on that 50% chance.

Or maybe it really had been an accident and I have been driving myself crazy for the past two years.

I slept but not really. Over and over again my mind was spinning thinking about my father and that stupid stupid bottle that took his life. I closed my eyes as I kept walking towards the office

I needed rest.

I needed sleep.

I needed peace.

I needed......

Valerie: Oof.

I had just bumped into someone. I opened my eyes and looked up.

It was Callum. I had just reached the door that led into the office. Callum gave me a closed mouth smile.

Callum: Good morning Valerie.

He stared at my face and he looked worried for me.

Callum: Is everything okay?

I can tell he was talking about my eyebags  and my messed up frizzy hair that I didn't have time to do in the morning.

Valerie: I'm fine, thank you, Callum.

I stepped past him to go into the office and was going to Sarge's door (that was closed) when I felt Callum's hand on my shoulder.

Callum: He's not in his office, he's preparing for the town party today. Supposedly we are bringing cookies, brownies and desserts for the people. He should be back any minute though.

His hand was still on my shoulder, he noticed and let go, putting his hand in the pocket of his pants.

I went to walk to my desk and I saw Kalvin, Summer, Ray and Jaxson sitting at their desks.

I noticed that Callum and Jaxsons desks were next to each other. I only caught a glimpse of him but Jaxson looked even better today than he did yesterday, he didn't look too tired.

I sat on my desk and noticed that Callum was right behind me. Did he want something? I turned to him.

Valerie: I'm sorry, I've had a bad night.

Callum: I can tell, I just want to make sure you're okay.

I smiled at him sincerely but I honestly couldn't deal with Callum and his flirty personality today.

Valerie: Thank you for your concern but I'm fine, I promise.

Callum: Well you better get some more rest, you have the next case so who knows when that will be. Could be right now or tomorrow.

I didn't want to think about the upcoming case. I wanted to change the topic.

Valerie: So today's the  town party?

Callum: Yeah, I'm upset that you didn't volunteer. You can still come if you want. Ride with me.

Valerie: I'm good, really.