Chapter 14: Day 3

I walked into the office with a large cup of coffee in my right hand.

It was the only thing keeping me upright and awake.

Half awake.

It was 8:00 AM in the morning but I've been awake since 5:00 AM trying to solve Anthony's case with only a notepad and what I knew. I got nowhere.

I opened the door that led to the office and saw that mostly everyone was here. I wasn't expecting that, especially after what happened yesterday.

I walked past Sarge's door which was closed.

I looked around the room and Ray was leaning back on his chair drinking from a cup. I assumed that it was coffee. Summer had her head down on her desk and right next to her was Kalvin on his computer watching the morning news talking about the murder from yesterday.

Ray: If you are looking for Sarge, he's talking to the press.

Ray must have seen me looking at Kalvin's screen. On the news I saw Sarge right behind the crime scene, answering questions the other reporters were asking him.

Sarge looked tired. His eyebags looked heavier and darker than yesterday. Scanning the room, everybody looked tired and miserable. I bet none of us got more than 4 hours of sleep last night.

I looked at Jaxson's desk and saw that it was empty, the donuts that I brought him were still there, untouched.

Ray: Looks like Jaxson has a secret admirer.

Ray gestured towards the donuts. I didn't say anything, if he knew the donuts were from me then I wouldn't hear the end of it from him.

Valerie: Where's Jaxson?

Ray: Why do you care?

Summer: He took the day off.

Summer had lifted her head from her desk and she looked pale. Her face was shiny with tears and her hair was frizzy beyond repair. I was worried for her.

Summer: He wanted to come but Sarge and the guys made him stay home. If you think I look bad then you should see Jaxson.

Valerie: Summer you don't look bad. You are grieving, we all are.

Kalvin: As much as I don't like the person who is speaking, I do agree with her. Summer, you need to eat.

I tried to ignore Kalvin's dig but it stung a little. Does everyone hate me? Of course they do. I don't belong here.

Kalvin had shut off the news, gotten a banana off his bag and knelt down next to Summer.

Kalvin: Summer, here take this. Por favor.

Summer: Why do you even have a banana? You hate them.

Kalvin: I know but it's your favorite fruit isn't it?

Summer sniffed and nodded her head just a little.

Summer: What does por favor mean again?

Kalvin: Please.

Summer: I feel like throwing up.

Kalvin: You haven't eaten anything since yesterday, just eat this.