Jaxson's Pov: Day 1

(Meeting Valerie)

I'm going to arrest someone today.

I've been interviewing the witness for two hours and they finally picked out the shooter from the photo lineup I put together.

They were signing the photo with their name as confirmation and handed the photo back to me. I allowed them to leave and I stifled my yawn. I've been here since 11 PM trying to solve this case and I finally had a big break. I had enough evidence to get an arrest warrant on this guy.

I felt bad for the witness and what they had to see. But they were strong throughout the interview and helped me tremendously. I would also have to contact the victims' families if this arrest did go through.

The hardest part of working in homicide was talking to the families. Having to see them break down and cry as their lives are taken before their very eyes. That's a type of pain I wouldn't want even my worst enemy to have.

I stretched and pulled out my phone to text Anthony, just wanting to make sure that he was okay. I sometimes worried about him. He's been slacking off for the past few months and I didn't just want him to be at the house all day doing nothing. I've been telling him to go to tomorrow's event but even he doesn't want to go for the free food.

I'll make him go one way or another.

I wanted him to socialize and have a great life. No offense to Hammerhead and Sling but they weren't the best influences. I believe Anthony kept them pure in some way, stopped them from fully being bad.

Texts:

Jaxson: How r u?

Anthony: alive. aren't you supposed to be working bro?

Jaxson: I just wanted to check up on you.

Anthony: do your job. I'm fine.

Jaxson: Okay. I left some food for you in the fridge before I left yesterday. It's pan con pollo, your favorite.

Anthony: YOU ARE GOATED!!!!!!! I don't have to pay you back right?

Jaxson: No, enjoy it and be safe. I'll see you when I get home. Call me if you need anything.

Anthony: Thank you Jax, be safe. I love you.

Jaxson: I love you too Ant.

I always told Ant I loved him even when I was mad. Being in homicide makes you realize that you never know what might happen to your loved ones and you have to cherish them while they are still alive. Ant thought that it was silly but he got into the habit of saying it before ending each text conversation.

Besides, our parents left without an "I love you" and I could tell Anthony was still bothered by it to this day.

As for me? They are no longer in my life so they aren't my problem. I wanted to be there for Ant the way my parent's should've but didn't. I wanted to give Ant the life I couldn't have because I was forced to grow up too fast.

I shook myself out of my thoughts. I needed to get my suspect off the street fast before he hurt anybody else. I put my phone away and left the interview room. I needed to give Sarge the update and get that arrest warrant.

I was walking to the set of doors at the end of the hallway before I heard a group of people talking. I didn't have time to be curious.