Chapter 8: Day 2

Summer was fixing her hair and wiping down her glasses when I came in.

Summer: Hey Valerie, what's up?

Valerie: Nothing, I am confused though. What's going on between Callum, Jaxson and Anthony?

I couldn't help but be curious. Callum had gone rigid and nervous when Anthony showed up and Anthony didn't seem happy to see Callum either. I could also tell that something was going on between Callum and Jaxon.

Summer shook her head.

Summer: Jaxson, Callum and I went to the same college although Callum was a grade above us. We were almost in the same courses since we all majored in criminal justice. Callum and Jaxson were always pit against each other and Jaxson always managed to be on top. Jaxson was kinda like a prodigy, he was amazing in our field of study. Since Callum was older, he felt more embarrassed especially when Jaxson managed to get into the police force and homicide before Callum. Callum always fell behind and would always compare himself to Jaxson. They could have been great friends but it just never turned out that way. Sometimes I think Callum is jealous of Jaxson.

That was surprising. Callum seemed like such a confident person. To know that Callum and Jaxson have basically been against each other since day one made that entire interaction make much more sense.

Valerie: Is that why Anthony also hates Callum?

Summer shook her head

Summer: I don't know what's going on between Ant and Callum. I think Anthony knows about the rivalry between them, Jaxson tells Anthony almost everything. They are close those two.

Valerie: But why would Anthony say that he could ruin Callum? What dirt does he have on him?

Summer: That is what I was thinking. I never saw the two interact outside the office before. Only when Ant visits there is an occasional stare off but today felt weird.

I nodded.

Summer: Not going to lie, sometimes I feel like Anthony has a lot going on. Like he does stuff that even Jaxson doesn't know of.

Valerie: Like what?

Summer: It's just a suspicion. I don't know, Anthony is nice and everything but he has secrets.

I sensed the conversation taking a turn and so did Summer because she gave her hair one last final touch and turned to me giving me a small smile.

Summer: Don't mention it though.

And Summer walked away leaving me alone with my own reflection.