Chapter 16: Day 3

I made my way into the office. My face was still wet with tears. I tried my best to make sure I looked okay. I said goodbye to Cindy, grateful but also suspicious.

Why after all this time did she tell me? My father could have been murdered and his murderer could still be out there.

I was thinking about the brown box she had given me, which was hidden in the back of my car.

I needed to talk to Sarge. I needed to convince him to reopen my dad's case. I knew if I talked to him now it would be pointless. I needed to gather more evidence that foul play was involved and somebody was out to get my dad.

Besides, I had Anthony's case to worry about. It was already the afternoon and I had gotten nowhere.

Callum: Hey Valerie!

As I walked in, I saw Calum sitting at his desk. He got up to greet me while I looked around to see who was there. I only saw Ray and Callum.

Valerie: Hey, Sorry for just arriving. I've been busy with something. Have you been working on the case?

I noticed that Calum had a sticky note in his hand and that his hand was shaking a little. Almost as if he was nervous.

Callum: Actually yes, Sarge was here a little while ago and he caught me up on the case. I also got a call about the victim's autopsy reports, supposedly they tried calling you first but you didn't answer. Here, that's Bill and Kai's time of death at the top and at the bottom is Anthony's.

He handed me the sticky note and our fingers brushed during the transaction. I ignored it.

At the top of the sticky note the time 12:38 PM appeared next to Kai and Bill's name. That means they died at the same time. Anthony's name was next to the time of 12:40 PM. He passed away a whole two minutes later.

Callum: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Valerie: If Bill and Kai died at the same time, in the same way, that means that two people must've killed them. One for each.

Callum: Bill and Kai are big dudes, If it was only one person attacking them then they would have been able to fight back. They had clean cuts to the heart. I have a feeling this could have been a two-person attack.

Valerie: Do you think that they were the target or Anthony? Anthony died 2 minutes later and in a way more brutal death.

Callum: It's almost as if the murderer didn't think that Anthony would be there.

I noticed that Callum kept glancing at Ray and his body was shaking slightly.

Valerie: Let's go to my desk, I need to get my notepad.

We made our way to my desk.

Valerie: Willow said that Seabass, Bulldog, and Pika all had beef with Bill and that they were going to jump him during the event. The thing is that's just a rumor, we need to hear it from other people and actually get the evidence that they planned to do that. I can't say that they are suspects yet but we should definitely keep an eye out on them.

Ray: It doesn't take a smart person to know that sweetheart.

I turned around and saw that Ray was leaning back on his seat and looking at Calum and I. Didn't he have anything better to do than to jump into my conversations?