Chapter 15: Day 3

There I was standing in front of Quinn's house. I noticed that my hands were shaking at my sides. I forced them to stop. It was a sunny day and the sun shone on my face. I noticed a lot of police officers on my way here. They were doing surveillance on the streets after what happened yesterday.

My phone buzzed. I pulled it out of my pocket and was shocked to see that it was a text from Callum.

Text (Between Callum and Valerie):

Callum: Hey, I'm at the office where are you?

I put my phone back in my pocket. I'll respond to him later. I've been standing here for 5 minutes, too nervous to go inside. My jaw dropped when Quinn told me that his wife was the second lead to my dad's case. I came here immediately, I needed to get this out of the way so I can spend the rest of the afternoon on Anthony's case.

I need to solve it today, too many people were relying on me and there was a murderer in the streets roaming around town thinking that they got away with it. Actually, no. It had to be a two-person job or maybe even three. There's no way one person could have taken all three of them at once. Their deaths were too brutal, especially Anthony's.

I shook myself out of the thought and steeled myself as my knuckles knocked on the door twice. I heard somebody walking up to the door but the door didn't open.

Valerie: Hello, this is Valerie Emery, Quinn told me to come see you?

Immediately the door swung open and it was the same person who I remembered being the second lead to my dad's case two years ago.

Valerie: Hello, Cindy Doyle? Are you Quinn's wife?

She had light brown skin, dark brown eyes and the gray streaks in her hair had become more apparent since the last time I saw her.

Cindy Doyle: Please just call me Cindy, come inside quick.

She ushered me into her home and shut the door, locking it.

The house was medium size with the front of the house being all white but the inside was a cream colored white. There was a set of stairs that led up and right next to me was a shoe rack.

Valerie: Do you want me to take off my shoes?

Cindy: Please.

After setting my shoes on the rack, she took me into the living room and told me to sit down on the couch.

Cindy: Make yourself comfortable. Tea?

Valerie: No thank you.

She sat down on an armchair that was a faded green.

Cindy: You look just like your father.

My heart skipped a beat.

Valerie: Did you know him before the accident happened?

Cindy: I never met him before but I did hear good things about him. I heard that he was a gentle man.

He was. My father was the best person in my life before he left.

Valerie: So you were the second lead to his case with your husband?

Cindy: Yes. I was in the homicide unit with Quinn, that's where we first met and eventually we got married and had Uda, our daughter.