𝒗𝒊𝒊. family affairs

𖤐 𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵:
╰┈➤ family affairs ‧₊˚.

"IT WAS TERRIBLE, LEX." Meredith frowned, her thumbs fiddling with one another as she replayed the conversation she shared with Oliver just the other day. "His dad's just died and his mum's a drunk."

Felix had been playing with the curls of Meredith's hair and the butterfly clips scattered throughout. She looked up at Felix to watch his expressions and though his dark eyes remained fixated and focused on Meredith's hair wrapped around his finger, he still gave a shook of his head as he frowned. "I can't imagine."

"He probably doesn't have anywhere safe to go this summer, you know?" Meredith said with total genuine sadness at the thought of this boy she hardly knew having to struggle this summer.

Felix almost smiled at the girl's care for the world. "I'm sure I could ask mum if Oliver could stay at Saltburn for the summer."

Of course, she thought. The unfortunate realization that Oliver was going to be Felix's toy this year deemed upon Meredith and she couldn't help but sigh at the thought.

"What? You don't think I should?" He pulled the cigarette from between his pink lips, the smoke floating above Mere's face.

Meredith shrugged, her shoulder blades softly buried into Felix's thighs with the movement. "Whats Oliver going to do next summer?"

Felix knows what she's implying, because they have this talk each summer. Felix brings home a new best mate for the family to obsess over but Meredith was the only one that stayed. It was the same story, and Meredith was having the same feelings.

She frowned, her hands finally rested clasped together over her middle. "I just don't want him to end up like the others."

Felix leaned down and kissed the tip of her nose, but didn't respond to the comment of concern.

"Speaking of," he flicked the cigarette bud on the grass next to Meredith's head. "My mum's been dying to know if you'll be visiting this year."

Meredith hadn't really thought about it, in all honesty. She and Felix broke up and had their awkward few weeks of no talking but now they were acting just as though they were a couple again just without a label.

She hadn't even had much time to think about rekindling a relationship with Felix, much less spend the summer at his family's estate.

"I can tell her no." he huffed out his final exhalation of smoke. "That you're going on holiday or something, hmm?"

Meredith hadn't spent a summer at home since Year 11 and now five years have passed and she'd almost been through with University.

She hummed. "Can I think about it?"

He nodded. "'Course."