𝒙𝒊. a field of dozens

𖤐 𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑬𝑳𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵:
╰┈➤ a field of dozens ‧₊˚.

MEREDITH LAID NAKED ON HER STOMACH, reading into one of her romantic poetry novellas.

She'd just read an excerpt of what love was like when you're a dandelion and the other is merely only a dull piece of grass. It was beautiful, truly, but it left Meredith wondering what exactly it implied.

She was lying against the prickly buds of the field and bit on the tip of the pen she'd been using for annotation, and could feel Felix's gaze on her.

He wasn't staring at the girl because he found the way her brows knitted together with concentration and her teeth holding her blue pen in place between those lips, he was staring at her because she was his soulmate. The woman he found eternally entrancing and beautiful.

The sunlight beamed off her smooth back, she was glowing like an entirely other being.

"I can see you staring." Meredith said, voice light as she looked up at Felix.

He didn't hide the half-smirk on his face, but kept quiet.

The two just stared into one another's eyes with an energy neither of them knew what to do with. They could put their finger on what the distinct vibe was, either.

Playfulness? Happiness? Lust?

"Okay, you two," Farleigh declared, finally. After snickering with Venetia about the couple. "Stop eye-fucking each other and just fuck."

Felix rolled his eyes, and Meredith bit her bottom lip, having to contain the grin on her face when facing them. "You complained a whole lot last summer and now you want us to?"

Farleigh didn't bother looking up from his sunglasses facing the book he'd been reading. "Hey, my room isn't on that side of the house anymore. Do what you want."

Meredith actually laughed this time.

"We're all naked in this field because of you two perverts anyway." Venetia pointed out, which now caused the brunette to roll her eyes.

Meredith forgot she told her that, and that it actually happened. The no trunks in the field rule was originated as a joke by Venetia and Farleigh in Year 11 of secondary school after Meredith had confessed that she and Felix had sex here. Now, it's stuck ever since.

"I should have never told you that." She said, biting back a grin.

Felix held a hand up into the air, motioning for the conversation to pause as he appeared wounded. "Wait, you told her that?"

Meredith giggled wittily. "Someone had to, right?"

A fierce grin broke across Felix's face now. "I told her that."

Venetia leaned back on her elbows, sliding her sunglasses back over her eyes. "Not my fault both of you tell me everything."

The four friends shared a laugh in unison, and soon enough, Oliver came out to see what the fuss was all about.

He looked down at the naked teenagers in confusion until Felix shouted out the answer for him. "No trunks in the field, mate!"

Oliver grinned a lopsided grin and soon enough, he was without any clothes.

Venetia and Farleigh stopped and stared—partially in shock but Felix and Meredith truly paid no mind at all.

"Well, well, well." Farleigh said, earning a chuckle from Venetia and Meredith as she read into her book.

Felix nudged Meredith's shoulder, but she was already made aware of the situation at hand, but was just trying not to burst out laughing.

"Good for you," Farleigh said, jealousy hinted in his tone. "What a twist."

Oliver quickly dove into the field, coming to the little section Felix and Meredith had been in.

Felix began chatting him up but Meredith didn't pay much mine to the boy. She was trying to avoid him, to be honest.

"What're you reading?" Oliver asked, voice calm and controlled

The girl hummed. "Poetry." She said, her eyes scanning over the cover—anywhere but Oliver's gaze. "Some... Edgar Allen Poe shit."

He nodded, analyzing her slowly.

She was hoping he could tell she was avoiding him—or, trying to—and that he'd begin talking to Felix instead, but Felix was already preoccupied doing his own shit.

"What's with the... No trunks in the field rule?" He asks, and it's the one thing Meredith didn't want him to ask.

Meredith cleared her throat. "Farleigh, you mind telling the story again?"

Farleigh laughed. "Not at all."