𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊. lock and key

𖤐 𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵𝑻𝑬𝑬𝑵:
╰┈➤ lock and key ‧₊˚.

UNFORTUNATELY, FOR MEREDITH, after a restless night of tossing and turning and trying to figure out her own damn feelings, Oliver seems to have figured out his. 

He and Venetia have been eye-fucking all morning over breakfast and it was pretty bloody clear that something has happened between the two in the last twelve hours. 

Just two days ago, he had kissed Meredith, but now, he was so visibly into Venetia. 

And as for Felix, for the second day in a row, he's stormed into the dining room with a cigarette between his lips and a pissy look on his face. 

Oliver, however, seemed utterly unphased as he only looked at Venetia. The blonde had a lovestruck smirk on her face and Oliver looked as if he wanted to devour Venetia right there. 

"Good morning," Oliver said, peering over at his friend who has now taken the open seat beside him, right across from Meredith and Farleigh. 

"Morning." Felix replied with, surprisingly, hardly any hostility. 

"You sleep well?" Oliver asked, pretending that nothing has happened but Meredith was bursting at the seems with nerves. 

"No, not really, mate." Felix didn't spare a single glance to anyone  at the table, and was so obviously avoiding Oliver--and he knew it as well. 

A look of both offense and confusion appeared on the boy's face and to Meredith, it was a mystery why. 

"We're 30 for dinner tomorrow night," Sir James said with a sigh, eyes peering up from his newspaper but Meredith could only tune out whatever he and Elspeth were about to go on about. 

Farleigh leaned closer to Meredith with what appeared to be a deviant smirk. "What's got you so on edge?" 

Honestly, Meredith didn't quite understand most of whatever American slang Farleigh often used, but she did get what he was implying. 

She shook her head. "Just don't feel well, is all." 

He didn't believe her, not one bit. But if she even thought about telling Farleigh anything of the sorts of her and Oliver, she'd be gone by sunrise. 

"God, I forgot about that fucking dinner." Felix rolled his head back with a soft, airy groan. 

"Wait, who is coming to that dinner again?" Farleigh asked, blowing out the smoke from his cigarette. 

"The Henrys." Venetia replied, as if she already knew of the guest list. Meredith had no idea who would be in attendance, nor did she necessarily care. 

"No, please!" Farleigh pinched the bridge of his nose with exhaust. 

Oliver then decided to chime in with curiosity. "Who are the Henrys?" 

"Dad's friends." Venetia replied with a smirk. "They're all called Henry." 

It was quite ironic, Meredith would have to admit. She's met each one of the Henrys but didn't like any of them one bit. 

"No, not all of them!" Sir James defended himself and his friendships. "Just... most." 

"It'll be fun!" Elspeth said with her monotone excitement. 

Venetia kissed her teeth. "It'll be getting molested by Henry. You know which one." 

Unfortunately, each one of them (with the exclusion of Oliver) knew which one and he was an utter prick. A twat. 

"Well, I'll put you next to Oliver. He can molest you instead." 

Oliver and Venetia shared a grin, both knowing and chuckling at the statement. 

Meredith knew it to be true, as well, as she'd been the one Venetia told, but somehow Felix and Farleigh did as well. 

The brunette looked up to see the veins in Felix's hand were showing through with each flick of the cigarette and just by the clenching of his jaw, it was so very obvious he knew. He was furious again, except this time, so much worse.

This was it. Meredith thought. She was sure of it.

Felix has found out about Oliver and Venetia, and surely, found out about Oliver and Meredith and now she was damned. 

God, Meredith felt like such an idiot, then. Catching... feelings for her ex-boyfriend's best mate. 

Meredith blinked, snapping back into reality and the couple--as well as Oliver--had begun discussing what Oliver would want for his birthday, as far as party-wise, as he (luckily) had a summer birthday that was just a couple weeks away. 

Once Farleigh completed insulting Oliver for the better judgement of not having any friends, Sir James boasted with excitement at what suit he could wear but Meredith could only focus on Oliver, who was lightly tapping Felix's knee--that had been crossed over his other--with confusion creased between his brows. He was trying to figure out what was wrong with the boy but given Felix's response, he was pissed at Oliver and wanted nothing short but to talk to him. 

Felix never would be the kind of boy to ignore someone, no matter what they've done to anger him, when they ask him something personally because Felix was far too kind for that. Meredith was just the same way. 

Sir James and Elspeth went on about their plans for Felix's party but shocking Meredith, Venetia got up and stormed away. Her heels clanking on the ground as she walked toward the building. 

BLAKELY SPEAKS

we're #5 in the UK!!!!  🫶🫶🫶