Thirteen

A gust of wind blew, carrying the winter chill along with it. Leaves crunched as a man stepped onto them, walking into the forest in the middle of nowhere.

A graveyard.

The place was gloomy, and the mist in the air only made it look more lonely.

The man continued walking until he reached a certain grave.

Jaemin Lee

"Ah, Lee. It's been such a long time since I last came to visit, no?" The man said, placing the bouquet of black dahlias near the headstone.

"I can't help but think how things could have been if you didn't die that night... But atleast I left your son and wife alive! You should be thankful, you know?" He said and let out a chuckle.

"You should see what your son is upto these days... Risking his life, unaware of the fact that I can end his life in the snap on my fingers at any moment I want. But now, we wouldn't want that, would we? It would be a waste to kill yet another useful pawn." A weird kind of glint was in the man's eyes as he continued talking to the grave.

"I just came to let you know that this old friend hasn't forgotten about you. Can you believe it's been sixteen years since that night? Time sure does fly quickly." The man chuckled.

"Pray from the heavens above for the wellbeing of your child, Lee. He needs it. Or he might join you soon." The man burst into laughter. "Then I'll send your wife to you as well. All it takes is the removal of her life support, and she will be gone. Poof. The Lees will finally be united." He laughed again at his own humour, his eyes shining with madness.

"Even after all these years Lee, and even after being dead," The man began speaking as he got up. "You're the only one who manages to bring out my true self. What a wonderful partner you are."

With one last look at the grave which was now decorated by black dahlias, the man left.

And once again, the wind blew in the empty ground, carrying that same heaviness in it.

Maybe somewhere above, a father was crying at his inability to protect his son from the things fate had planned out for him.

***

"Ready?" Changbin peeked in to check if Minho had dressed up.

"Yeah." Said Minho, checking his reflection in the mirror one last time.

He wore a black suit. It was nothing fancy, just a plain black suit.

And yet, he managed to look breathtaking in that.

"You look great." Changbin smiled as Minho made eye contact with him.

"Thank you." Minho paused before speaking again. "You don't look too bad yourself."

Changbin chuckled. "Come on, I'll take you to the venue. Jisung is already there, dealing with the guests." He said.

Minho nodded, turning to follow the man. They left the apartment and after more than a week, Minho stepped foot outside.

He wasn't going to lie, it felt nice. Being in that bright room while having absolutely nothing to do was making him lose his shit.

No amount of training could take boredom again. Finally, he was about to get some action.

The drive was short and it was mostly Changbin explaining Minho to stay quiet all the time and just stand next to Jisung like a doll.

They got out of the car when they reached the mansion. Minho quickly analysed the entry, noticing the extremely tight security.