13. Our visit to the Police Department

Hey there, folks!

Can't believe we have November already. Today, I have a short story about our visit to the local police department. Some of you might remember it from my entry about our birthday party in September, during which our friend Duke made me the generous offer to ask his chief, if we can visit my father's former workplace. After all those weeks, I almost lost hope. But last Wednesday evening, I was sitting at my desk doing my homework, he called me.

Nervously, I pressed the take call button.

"Hey Duke, how are you?"

The Doberman sounded happy.

"Hey, my friend. I'm feeling good, thanks for asking. What about Nikki and you? Have you two managed to become a legal couple yet?"

I leaned back in my chair, to make myself comfortable.

"Nikki and I are fine. And no, not yet. Mom managed to get an appointment for the psychologist on the 18th, sadly we couldn't make one with the CPS yet. But we hope to get that done before December."

Duke replied:

"Good luck with that, champ. How is your mom doing?"

Duke's questions felt like he wanted to torture me. He knew which news I wanted to hear. Impatiently, I answered:

"Mom is fine, too. Why do you call? Have you asked your Chief, if we can visit your station?"

Duke chuckled.

"That is why I called you. The chief wasn't sure at first, but after I told him who you are, he was more than willing to welcome you here. It seems your father was a good friend of him."

Happily, I jumped off my chair.

"That sounds great, Duke! When can we come?"

Duke's answer took him a brief moment, during which I heard paper rustle.

"Well, how does Saturday sound? Would that be ok for you?"

I was already on my way to my room's door, as I said:

"I will ask mom right away, wait a second."

Duke quickly replied

"Wait, Balto. I don't have much more time now. I am on duty. You can send me a message. Just one more thing. The chief was delighted as I told him about you. He mentioned that he has something he would like to give you. Well, I have to hang up now. I hope to see you Saturday, wolfy. Take care."

I replied, while I happily wagged my tail:

"I hope Mom has time to take me there. Thank you so much, Duke. Take care, stay safe!"

At the same moment he ended the call, I ran to my mother. She was outside taking care of her vegetable patches, making them fit for the nearby winter. Excited, I ran to her:

"Mom, Mom! My friend Duke just called me, he said we can visit him at the police station on Saturday. Can we go there? Please, Mom, please."

Mom stored away her tools, while she asked me is response:

"Did you say the police station? I don't know. Do You really want to go there, Balto?"

I nodded, while I smiled at mom:

"Yes mom. I want to see where dad worked. You know that I hope to become a police officer later. Duke also said that the chief has something for me. Dad was a good friend of him."

Mom sighed. She didn't sound happy, as she answered to me:

"Well, ok Balto. We can go there on Saturday afternoon."