23. Darwin's Hope Comic Con 2022

Hey there Folks, Nikki here! Balto and I hope you are all well

Hey there Folks, Nikki here! Balto and I hope you are all well. Fluffy is currently helping my father in our new beach-house, and so it is up to me to tell you about this truly amazing weekend we had. Don't worry, I will keep it short this time.

The last Comic Con in our town was in October 2020. Some of you might remember Balto's entry about our visit there. Balto was wearing his fantastic Iron Wolf Armor, which he is still wearing from time to time at parties, and sporadically, we make little photoshoots in the park and other places in town. If he doesn't wear it, it stands in a special showcase in his room. I dressed up as Black Widow, since the outfit was easy to make for me.

Balto's love for the Star Wars universe somehow infected me, since my wolf made me watch the animated series "The Clone Wars" and "Rebels" with him, followed by "The Mandalorian" and "The Bad Batch". And as a result, we decided to make a Star Wars-themed cosplay at the Comic Con this year. To our surprise, it was announced that the con will no longer be held in October, but has been moved to the weekend of March 18-20. This was decided because it shouldn't come into conflict again with the big Comic Con held in New York City. So much for that, next I want to tell you about our cosplays.

Balto was amazed by the series "The Mandalorian". What he loved the most was the Mandalorian Armor. What surprised me a little was that he preferred the version from the first episodes over the one made of pure Beskar. My own favorite character is "Sabine Wren" from "Rebels". And not just because we have almost the same body shape.

I called my friend Raphael and the rest of my theater group to help, and since they are all little nerds like Balto, they all happily agreed to help us with the outfits. Raphael has a big 3D-Printer, that way he was able to print the needed parts, while Svetlana, Angelike and Joseph built them together and painted them. Jonathan and Gabriel organized the leather and buckles we needed for the belts, while Balto and I searched at several locations for the bullets and other minor details, which make these outfits so fantastic looking. Miguel is our best artist, and he is responsible for most of the markings on my armor.

Last, but not least: The weapons. The blasters you see in the picture were made by my father. He wanted to help too and did a truly great job with them. Only the Darksaber is something we bought in a store. That thing is great for posing.

Now let us go to the con itself. As I have mentioned it before, it was from the 18th to the 20th of March. Balto and I drove there in my car, since the convention center is a bit out of town. For those who don't know, I own a Mini, which is painted in a cheetah-like pattern. Fluffy named it the Nikkimobile, and that name fits it pretty well.

My father booked us a room in the same hotel as last time, what was fantastic. Especially for Balto, who ate his body weight in meatballs every morning at the buffet.

On Friday wasn't more than getting our badges and watching the opening ceremony, after which we visited our favorite restaurant nearby. We even met the cool waitress from last time again.