EIGHTEEN: MAKE ME YOURS

Ever since Ivan dropped her off at Marina's apartment, Anastasia had been gripped by a relentless mix of anxiety and restlessness. She found herself unable to comprehend the situation unfolding before her eyes, with countless questions swirling in her mind and numerous theories taking shape. Who were those mysterious individuals tailing Ivan? What had he done to make himself a target? The possibilities spun in her head, and she couldn't help but wonder if Ivan was involved in something dangerous.

Anastasia's understanding of Ivan's occupation was limited, and it left room for suspicion. Perhaps he was entangled in something illicit or unlawful. However, fragments of her father's hushed conversations echoed in her memory, where he spoke of Ivan Volkov as the rising star of the real estate world. Whispers of Ivan's ability to charm influential figures across the globe lingered in her ears. As far as Anastasia knew, real estate itself wasn't inherently illegal, but she couldn't deny the inherent risks and perils that might lurk beneath its glossy facade.

Lost in her thoughts, Anastasia accepted the mug of tea, its warmth seeping through the ceramic and soothing her frayed nerves.

But the oppressive weight of Anastasia's toxic thoughts was shattered as Marina arrived with the tea, interrupting the spiral of negativity.

Anastasia offered the young girl a kind smile, one that she hoped concealed her inner worries. "Thank you," she expressed her gratitude.

Marina settled into a chair across the table, pulling her legs up and leaning in, her youthful appearance apparent. With her shoulder-length dark hair and round face, it was easy to mistake her for someone barely seventeen. This observation sparked Anastasia's curiosity, wondering why Ivan's sister had chosen to live alone instead of with their family. She pondered what their relationship dynamic was like, how they interacted with each other.

As they sat in the room, Anastasia couldn't resist her inquisitiveness any longer. The question slipped out, "Do you live here alone?"

Marina paused for a moment, her eyes meeting Anastasia's in a mix of surprise and contemplation. She took a sip of her tea, the warmth of the cup cradled in her hands providing a sense of comfort before she responded.

"No, not always," Marina finally replied, her voice carrying a hint of nostalgia. "I used to live with my parents and Ivan, but things changed. Life has a way of reshaping our paths."

Curiosity burning within her, Anastasia ventured further, her voice gentle yet inquisitive. "What was it like growing up with Ivan? I mean, if you don't mind me asking. He seems... intriguing."

A wistful smile tugged at the corners of Marina's lips as she gazed into the distance. "Growing up with Ivan was never dull, that's for sure," she replied, a nostalgic fondness lacing her words. "He had a way of lighting up a room with his charm and infectious laughter. We had our share of adventures and mischievous escapades. But he was always fiercely protective, like an older brother should be."

Anastasia's mind briefly wandered to the protectiveness she had experienced from her father and cousins, recognizing that it didn't always evoke warm and joyful feelings. There were moments when that protectiveness could feel suffocating and overwhelming.

"Enough about me, though," Marina interjected with a charming smile, her features resembling Ivan's in a way that made Anastasia's heart skip a beat. It was in the way her eyes crinkled at the corners, mirroring the man who consumed Anastasia's thoughts. "Tell me something about you. How do you find my brother? Do you like him? Is he good to you?"

Anastasia's cheeks flushed, a mix of embarrassment and anticipation washing over her. The flood of questions from Marina made her realize the significant possibility of a future with Ivan. After all, that was the purpose of their initial meeting, wasn't it?—to see if they fit together.