THIRTY NINE: SHOOTING RANGE

[ANASTASIA]

"What are you scowling about?" I ask Ivan Jr., once Tatiana exhausts herself completely and falls asleep on my lap. Junior, on the other hand, has been staring at the book in his hands, sitting on the couch across the bed.

He looks up from the book, shaking his head. "Nothing."

"Are you sure you want to lie to me?" His expression changes. He frowns. "I'm not lying."

I let out a long sigh and put Tatiana under the covers. She sleeps soundly, not aware of the conversation around her. Good. I don't want both my children to wear worried faces when their parents are here to handle everything—when I'm here to worry about everything that needs to be worried about.

I leave the bed and sit on the couch next to him. I can sense his gaze on my leg as I limp a little. But, of course, I try to act as if it's no big deal. I put my arm around his shoulders and give him a gentle squeeze. "What's wrong?"

"You're hurt." He says. It's not a question but an observation. I know what he's thinking.

"Yes, I am. But it's because I was careless and wasn't exactly looking where I was walking."

He looks up at me, his scowl growing more prominent. "I don't believe you."

My chest constricts a little. "You think I'm not being honest with you?"

He narrows his eyes. "Are you?"

Guilt washes over me in waves. Since when did he become so proficient in catching lies? I turn to face him fully. "Alright. Let's talk. What do you think happened?"

Junior drops his gaze to the book, his fingers clutching the spine tightly. I reach for his hand and take the book away. I hold his hands. Kiss them. "Talk to me."

"I don't know what happened," he says quietly. "But I know you didn't fall."

I let out a sigh, realizing that he was not buying into the story I'd been telling. It's not like I want to lie to him either. But what choice do I have? I can't just drop the bomb and tell them that their mom was abducted. It's not a conversation any parent would be comfortable sharing with their kids, especially when they weren't even ten. But what should I do now? He knows I've been lying. If I say he's overthinking, he would never trust his instincts, or me for that matter. And if I tell him the truth, I would be terrifying his little soul.

I give his hands a gentle squeeze and kiss his temple. "I understand you're worried. I really do. And you're right, I didn't fall. Mommy just got into some trouble and got hurt because of that." I can already see a question coming, and before he opens his mouth, I continue. "Hey, but it's nothing mommy can't take care of. You know I'm strong, right? Remember how I took care of that old geezer who was bullying you in the park?"

A memory flashes in his eyes and the corner of his tiny mouth lifts in a small grin. "I remember. You beat him with a stick until he ran away yelling."

I laugh at the memory with him. "Exactly! Mommy will beat anyone who tries to hurt any of us."

I see a flicker of relief in his eyes, but there's still a hint of concern. He leans into my side, seeking comfort, and I wrap my arm around him, holding him close.

"Can't I grow up sooner?" He grumbles. "I will take such good care of you and Tati."

Tears well up in my eyes, but I manage a chuckle. "I know, sweetheart. I know what you mean. You'll grow up one day and take care of everything. But, for now, let Mommy enjoy having her little boy who's in no hurry to become the big guy. Okay?"

He pulls away and smiles. "Okay!"

After Ivan Junior falls asleep, I leave both my kids in my room and head downstairs for a breather. I've been cooped up in my room since morning. The only time I got out was to meet Ivan in his office.