FORTY SIX: SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY 🔥

A black four-door pulled up outside his cottage in the woods, and a head full of blonde hair hopped out, carrying two shopping bags in her hands.

Nikolai Petrovich stepped out of the small garage, wiping his greasy hands on a rag.

Her eyes lit up when she spotted him, cheeks turning rosy from the perpetual cold.

"Hey."

He tossed the rag over his shoulder and pulled her into a hug. "Missed you."

She chuckled, letting him hold her, although the bags obstructed the way.

He didn't care, pulling back and smashing his lips to hers.

"I didn't know you were coming," he rasped between the kiss, devouring her warm mouth like a man chilled to the last bone in his body. Loving the way she smelled. All fruity and flowery.

Fuck, he'd missed her.

"It was supposed to be a surprise." The bags hit the snowy ground this time, and she wrapped her arms around his neck. Her breath turned into white smoke. "Guess surprises aren't your thing?"

"Are you kidding me?" He swept her into his arms.

She squealed but didn't protest, except for one thing.

"My bags, Nik. They need to be inside too."

He ignored her request and crushed his lips to hers. "I'll come back to pick them up later."

His boots carried him up the steps, and he kicked the front door open, his heart pounding with joy and lust, making him forget about everything else.

He set her down, and she quickly shut the door.

His hands grabbed her face, and he kissed her again, harder and deeper. She responded eagerly, and he couldn't resist.

She was here.

Finally.

With him.

Her fingers tangled in his hair, and the softest whimper vibrated through his mouth. It took all his self-control not to tear the clothes off her body and claim her, right then and there.

They kissed each other breathlessly, and she pressed herself against him, letting him feel the heat of her body through the thick layers of their winter clothing.

The fire in the fireplace roared, but the cold seeped through the walls. It was freezing, as usual.

"I'm so glad to see you," he said when he pulled back.

She looked up at him with a lazy smile and hooded eyes. "I'm glad too. You've got me all to yourself."

His brows pulled together, and he let his hands drop. "No one's looking for you?"

She shook her head, grinning. "No. Not for the time being."

The corner of his mouth tugged up. "How much time do we have?"

She shrugged and ran her fingers over his stubble, the way she'd done several times before, but only when they'd been alone.

"A few hours, maybe." She pressed her palm to his cheek. "If you don't get sick of me."

He leaned in to kiss her, and it was like a spark igniting his chest, spreading a wave of warmth through him.

"Impossible."

A giggle bubbled up her throat, and she gave him a coy look.

"Good. So you can keep me warm in this ice box."