THIRTY TWO: SOMETHING FISHY

[IVAN]

"Do I look like someone who gives a damn about your excuses?" I barked into the phone, standing on the nearest balcony next to our table, trying to handle my work as quietly and effortlessly as possible.

After handing over the tasks of the day to Dimitri, I had hoped to spend some quality time with Ana and our kids. It was the first time we had been out as a family, and damn, I had been looking forward to it. But these men I do so much to tolerate can't even handle one task without calling me twenty times.

Why do they have to run into all kinds of troubles the one day I want to spend without any disturbances? Screw it! I'm going to kill someone if they call me one more time, I swear.

"It's not an excuse, boss. The roads are actually blocked due to heavy snowfall last night, and the open routes have checkpoints swarming with the police force. I think it's better if we hold the shipments for a day or two, let the whole commotion calm down, and then start the delivery of the parcels."

I grit my teeth, trying to contain my frustration. "You think, huh? You're paid to find solutions, not to tell me problems. Figure it out and get those shipments moving. I don't care if you have to bribe the entire police force."

I end the call, feeling a surge of irritation. My plans for a peaceful day with Ana and the kids are rapidly crumbling. No. I can't let that happen. If we fail to go through one day as a family, Ana will get another chance to rub it in my face. No matter what, I'm determined to have all my focus on this day out. I won't disappoint my kids, myself, or even Ana. She might not admit it, but since the moment she saw our kids so excited for the whole day out, she has been glowing like a fucking sun.

After leaving the mansion, it took us almost an hour to drive back to the city. Ivan Jr. and Tatiana were already hungry by the time the driver parked the car at the underground parking lot of the mall, having both of them excited through the entire drive, just chatting away mindlessly and laughing at one thing or another.

I knew my little girl had a knack for chattering for hours, but damn, she could be so loud and so active; I didn't know that. I love her even more now. Nothing could compare to how adorably she expresses herself, the way she pinches her face and frowns when there's something she doesn't understand. Not to forget the way she cheers and claps at almost every strange thing that her eyes stumble upon.

Once we entered the mall, the kids were practically dragging us towards the toy store. Tatiana was bubbling with excitement, already picking out the toys she wanted, while Ivan Jr. seemed more interested in the latest video games. The whole place came to life with all of us exploring the shops together, with people bustling about, and the air filled with the sounds of children's laughter and the clinking of shopping bags.

We ended up buying a lot of things. Ivan Jr got himself three sets of new games, new art supplies, and a few pairs of clothes that Ana forced him to try despite his blahs and unwillingness.

Tatiana, on the other hand, was ready to put the whole store in her little basket if not for Ana reminding her not to be greedy. Ana told her that, like Ivan Jr., she could pick three toys for herself, and that was all. Tatiana didn't seem very excited about it, but she agreed to listen anyway. She picked two dolls and one stuffed animal that looked like a panda to me, but, honestly, it could have been anything.

Unlike her brother, my little girl looked far happier and more willing to try all kinds of clothes, and even though Ana bought no more than three pairs for each of our kids, I might have picked a few more behind her back.

What? I couldn't help myself. Everything looked so good on them. How could one even choose? I couldn't.

To my dismay, Ana didn't buy anything for herself. I don't think she even considered that she should or could. I tried to talk her into it, but since the moment we left the mansion, she had done her absolute best to ignore me without giving the kids any kind of wrong idea.