FIFTY ONE: FEELS GOOD

[IVAN]

If I were a good man, I would have used this alone time with Ana as a way to win over her heart. But that's one thing I'm not. And I don't need any reminder of all the horrible things I have done to reach where I am.

My great-grandfather was probably the last man in the entire Volkov empire who remained a good man till the end. My grandfather, well, not so much. He was ambitious and power-hungry and happened to be the man who sowed the seed of Volkov's future, a generation in which kindness and weakness had no place in their lives. Of course, my father walked the same path and raised his sons to follow in his footsteps. With my temperament and stubbornness, I wasn't an easy lad to train, but after my brother passed away, I was the only one left to continue what I did not believe in.

Soon, my father turned me into his next big project. And when my mother tried to intervene and protect me from his ruthlessness, he easily discarded her like a piece of trash and brought a new woman to take her place. However, I bet even he wouldn't have expected what happened next. I wish he were alive to see the consequences of his actions. I wish he was alive to suffer in the same way he forced all of us to go through.

Anastasia doesn't know about my past. She knows there have been disputes, and that my stepmother and I do not get along, but she doesn't have a clue how much of an eyesore she is to that old woman. She doesn't know how badly she wants to get rid of my Ana.

But I think it's time she learns about it. She's stronger now. I have faith that she can handle her own if the time comes to it. And that's exactly what I'm thinking while we fly to Kazan.

However, it becomes clear rather quickly that my dear wife has some other plans.

I feel Anastasia's hands on my face, pulling me down into a kiss that catches me off guard. The taste of her lips brings a flood of memories rushing back, a mix of nostalgia and a newfound urgency.

For a moment, I lose myself in the intensity of the kiss, the world around us fading away. The connection between us feels electric, as if the years of separation are melting away in this singular moment.

When we finally break the kiss, I look into her eyes, searching for any sign of regret or hesitation. Instead, I find a fire, a spark that mirrors the emotions swirling within me. Her gaze is unwavering, and it speaks volumes without the need for words.

I gently trace the curve of her cheek with my thumb, savoring the softness beneath my touch. "Malysh," I whisper, the endearment slipping out naturally. "You'll regret this when you're sober."

That's the truth that I can't deny. Ana might have softened towards me, but she hadn't completely forgiven me for the past. And if there's something I know about Ana, it's that she can hold grudges for as long as time. She's kind and gentle and sensitive, but she's also fierce and a force of nature that one cannot just take for granted. I have experienced this change in her up close. As much as I crave her old self, there's no denying that the past years have changed her. She's stronger now, way too strong than she already was.

She meets my gaze, and there's a quiet acknowledgement in her eyes. She doesn't argue or deny, understanding the implications of our impulsive moment. She purses her lips and strokes my cheeks with her thumbs. "You have no right to be so sure."

"I know you, malysh. And you're going to hate this."

She inhales a deep breath, once again not trying to deny it. She looks away and out of the window, holding me close still. "But it feels good, doesn't it?"

It does. It really, really does. But this isn't as real as it should be. She's drunk, and I'm hopeless. I can't give in to all the dangerous desires flowing through me because, if I did, I'd lose the only chance I have for making things right between us. This delicate thread of hope that binds us together will be snapped.

I gently cup her face in my hands, drawing her gaze back to me. The warmth of her skin against my palms feels both familiar and distant, but it sure makes it even more challenging to stay behind the barriers of my resolve. If she continues to question my reluctance, I'm not sure how long I would be able to take this.

It's already torture to resist, to not just give in, carry her to the bedroom at the back, and make love to her until we both are beyond exhausted.

I want my Ana back. I want her to look at me the way she used to. I want her to choose me, and that too, on her own.

But this isn't choosing. It's more like getting swept away in the rush of emotions. And as much as I want this to be enough, it's not. I don't want a temporary respite from her hatred; I want a permanent vow of her love.

Hence, with whatever strength I still have, I pull away and drag her hands off my face.

"You should get some rest. There's a room in the back. Go and take a nap for a while. I'll find you when we're about to reach."

She blinks, her eyes trying to focus on my face. I can see the confusion in her gaze, mixed with a hint of disappointment and that pout of her lips that sure looks delectable right about now. The things I would do to her once I get her approval. I would bend her over on any hard surface I can find and pound her until she's raw with pain.

Two hours later, I'm sitting with the laptop in front of me, my mind elsewhere.

A few minutes ago, when I went back to check on Ana, she was sound asleep, snoring softly while curling up on her side. I wait for a moment longer at the door, just making sure she isn't pretending to be asleep like she does in our bedroom these days.

When she doesn't give away any pretense, I grab her phone, step outside, and connect it to my laptop.

She'll probably hate me for this, but I need to confirm if what Dimitri told me this morning holds any water. If what he said is true, and she has already made contact with Nikolai, then no matter the consequences, I need to use that opportunity against him.

Now that Ana is back with me, I won't let anyone manipulate either of us.

Once I'm done, I put the phone back in the room and come out and dial for Dimitri.

"It's done," I tell him as soon as he answers the call. "Keep an eye on it for now and don't engage. I want that bastard caught red-handed."

A/N: Ivan on a mission :P