Chapter one

"Well shit," I banged on the steering wheel, of the yellow Cobalt. I was beyond late for work. I desperately needed an iv full of espresso. Luckily I worked at a cafe that supplied me unlimited amounts of coffee. My brown curly hair was a complete mess and would not set down even after the ten pounds of gel. At least my makeup, inspired by Cover girl, wasn't too bad. All I could think about that foggy morning was why nothing was going as planned. As I was rushing off, I started to plan out my day...which traffic decided to give me plenty of time for since it was backed up probably miles. I'm going to lose my job if I am not more attentive to my alarms. I just lost my other job and am trying to pay off my college loans from last year. Just my luck half of the freeway was closed down. "Damn it!" I said, loud enough the car beside me could hear. The blonde haired lady shook her head at me, as if she'd never been late to work.

"Fuck" I forgot my purse at home. My brain was scattered fom my previous therapist session. He said something about having borderline personality disorder due to all my childhod trauma. I can't be that unstable, right? I mean after everything I've read about it. The mood swings,the emotional ups and downs, the reationship issues. Sure I don't have the best relationships in or in the past but I wasn't crazy. My mind kept running. I could see my dad beating me over something my step brother did. Chills broke out on my skin. Practically shivering in my skin and trying to shake it off I noticed flashing lights come up behind me. My therapist kept going on and on about diving into my trauma. Who the fuck wants to do that? Well shit. The officer knocked on my window.

"Drivers license and registration"."

"Umm... See I forgot my purse at home. It has my license in it." handing him my registration.

"I see, what's your name?"

"Rose Bowmen."

Shit, I'm going to be even later now. I sat there, hands gripping the steering wheel. My palms are sweating praying I don't get a speeding ticket. The officer came back and handed me my registration.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"No?"

"Your brake light out."

"Oh that. It's on its way. Should be here today. I was just on my way to work."

"Get that fixed. I'm letting you off with a warning. Don't forget your purse next time. Not everyone is as understanding as I am. Also don't forget to take your license down to the police station for verification, like you forgot your purse."

I nodded as he walked away. Whew, that was nearly a heart attack. I couldn't even imagine having a speeding ticket on top of my late rent. Finally, the cars started moving. With each Inching closer to work, I was getting a little bit more nervous. I have been late over four times in the last two weeks. The tree's shadows covered the majority of the sun so it was at least not too hot out. I let out a big sigh as I missed the hills and the nature trails. The state park had been shut down due to a forest fire. You could still see the gray scaring against the tree lines. Derrick is going to kill me for being late again. Derrick was a tall, grayed hair pervert who liked to hassle all the women in the cafe. I'm pretty bad at getting to work on time. About twenty minutes later and only five miles down the road passing the small clothing shops and some kids selling popsicles on the corner I called up to work and told them what was going on. The girl on call "forgot" to text me. The boss was apparently sick, so one less person I had to worry about getting chewed at from. Apparently the boss left a message for me. He wanted me to take the day off and assist him in an investor meeting monday. I had no idea why he would choose me except that he probably thought I was good looking. So it looks like I will be assisting him with the power point.