never see her again

i'm thrilled that rich and i talked and worked everything out last night. i learned that i can't be without him or parent without him. he makes everything so much better.

this morning while i was getting ready Laura texted me if she could come over and drop off the kids. i said sure and she told me she was on her way over.

A "babe?" i yelled from upstairs
R "yes" he said while walking up the steps and into our room.
A "Laura just texted me and said that she was on the way to drop off the girls."
R "okay. how long is Laura going to be here for?"
A "she will be here for a few more weeks and then she will be back shortly after because she is the one that bought the house next store."
R "really?"
A "yeah."
R "tonight can we just hangout as a family? i need the girls and you in my arms."
A "absolutely. the girls will be so happy to know that everything is okay."
R "did you tell them?"
A "no but they started to catch on."
R "oh."

rich's phone starts going off and he answers it.

he is on the phone for a while and he seems really upset.

"okay thank you." he says and hangs up.

A "what's going on."
R "i can't do this anymore." he said and falls on the bed
A "rich talk to me what's going on."
R "Justine just died." Justine is Rich's step mom. rich's dad was married to Justine when he was born so she has been a part of his life for 43 years.
A "oh rich i'm so sorry."
R "she was the only 'parent' i had left. now i really have nothing to remember my dad with." he silently sobs and i sit down on the bed and start rubbing his back.

it's silent for a while until i finally spoke up and said something. "you have to go to Cleveland don't you?"
R "yeah the funeral is on Wednesday and it's monday so i need to go tonight or tomorrow morning."
A "can i go with you."
R "yeah and the girls too. she was there only living grandparent on my side."
A "rich she wa-" i was cut off by the doorbell and i knew that the girls were home.
A "if you feel up to it come down. i know Laura would love to see you."
R "okay i will be there in a second." god he just can't catch a break.

i walk downstairs and open the front door.

A "hi babies!"
Adeline and Amelia "hi mommy!!"
A "did you have fun at auntie Laura's house?"
Amelia "YES!"
we talk inside and i see rich slowly walking down the steps.
R "hey Laura how are you?" he says while giving her a hug
L "i'm well thank you."
R "what's new?"
L "well i'm sure Adele told you that i bought the house next store."
R "yes she did."
L "so yeah that's about it."
A "girls what did you do at Laura's?"
Adeline "we made cupcakes?"
A "auntie has a kitchen? what hotel are you staying it."
L "had to pay extra for talk at shit."
Amelia "auntie!"
L "sorry. i'm not used to being around kids."
A "well get used to it."
L "ha anyway i need to meet with a co worker but i will see yall later."
A "alright bye."
R "bye"

Laura walks out of the house and i close the door behind her. Rich and i both give each other a look. a look of 'we need to tell the girls'

A "girls let's go sit in the living room. mommy and daddy want to talk to you."
they follow me in there and Adeline sits in my lap and Amelia sits in Rich's.
A "so we are going to go to Cleveland."
Adeline "are we going to see Memaw?"
i see rich wiped the tear from is eye.
R "uh no sweetie. before you got back home daddy got a call from uncle Meco and he told me that Memaw died in her sleep."
Amelia "what?"
the girls start crying and so do i.

Justine was the parent that rich introduced me to all those years ago. she is the one who was sitting next to my mom at our wedding. she is the one who held the girls when they were still in the hospital. she was my mother in law and she was the best. my girls had the best grandma and my husband had the best step mom and it sucks to know that we won't ever see her again.