why do you love mommy

as i expected the kids are devastated about there grandma. rich and i decided that it would be better to go to Cleveland tonight to see his family and help out with everything.

rich went upstairs to go and pack up his things and do some last minute work because he won't be working while we are in Cleveland.

i walk upstairs and the girls follow me up to their room.

Amelia "mommy? what are you doing?"
A "we have to pack up you and your sisters things because we are leaving tonight."
Adeline "momma?"
A "yes sweetie?"
Adeline "are you sad about Memaw?"
A "of course i'm sad"
Adeline "but why she wasn't your mommy and she wasn't your Memaw."
A "well sweetie she was my second mom. when you get married you get a second mom and that's who she was to me. we were very close and i'm sad for your dad and for you two."
Adeline "oh"
A "you want to help me pack your things."
Amelia "i guess. where's daddy?"
A "daddy is getting some work done. let's not bother him."
Amelia "is he sad."
A "yes he is very sad. but he will be okay and so will you two. your dad is a very strong man and he will make it out of this. i promise."
Amelia "okay mommy."

i get their suitcases out of their closets and set them down next to their dresser.

Amelia "mommy can sister and i match for the funeral?"
A "yes baby."
Adeline "can we wear this?" she says and holds up a hot pink dress.
A "no baby you have to wear black."
Adeline "but why?"
A "i don't know. it's just what you do."
Amelia "okay."

after a while of packing the girls wanted me to stay in their room and play with them. it was 1pm and our flight wasn't until 4 and we just have to show up to the run way.

i feel rich's presence when i am playing with the girls. i turn around and see him standing at the door crying.

A "come here baby." he comes in and wraps his arms around my waist.
R "i love you so much baby." he whispers in to my ear.
A "i love you too. any chance you would watch the girls while i go pack?"
R "sure"
A "thank you." i kiss him and then walk out of the room.

rich's pov

Amelia "dadda?"
R "yes darling?"
Amelia "are you okay?"
R "i will be if i have you, your sister and your mommy."
Adeline "why do you love mommy so much?" i slightly laugh at the question because there are so many answers i could give.
R "well to start your mom gave me you two and my other baby girl. your mom always is there for me when i am going through hard times and she understands me more than anyone in this entire world. she makes me the happiest and i love waking up next to her every morning. but girls never settle for someone who doesn't make you happy or make you feel the best. wait for someone like your mom." i see my two daughters smiling at me.
Amelia "mommy heard all of that." i turned around and saw adele in the door way crying like i was a few minutes ago. she walks towards us and sits down next to me. he rest her head on my shoulder and closes her eyes.
A "Laney" she whispers.
R "babe i didn't mean for you to hear that."
A "it's okay. i promise i would just do anything to have her here right now."
R "me too."

the girls go back to playing and i take all of our things out and put in the back of our car. adele gets the kids outside and gets them in their car seats.

adele gets in the passenger seat and looks at me.

A "everything is going to be okay." i smile in return and kiss her forehead.

we start driving and i put my hand on her leg like i do every time.

R "Brandie called me and said that we could stay at her house."
A "okay. we have security going with us right."
R "yes of course."
A "okay just making sure."
i didn't live in the best area growing up and so anytime we went back to my hometown adele made sure we had security and so did i.