Chapter 6

It took a few minutes for the first person to enter, an elderly woman with a tired face and the frame of her glasses resting on her head, feigned a smile as she approached the board to write what I'm sure is her name. "All right, everybody, my name is Ms. MacElroy," she said, displaying her name on the board.

"In addition to being your homeroom teacher, I'll be seeing some of you in my English class and some of you on the volleyball court," she continued.

I could see Sheldon looking around the classroom while the teacher spoke. I nudged Broke to show Sheldon, who then signaled to Georgie, who enthusiastically gestured for Sheldon to face forward.

"I'm sure you're well aware that we have a student with us who, despite his young age, is remarkably gifted," the teacher said condescendingly, referring to Sheldon, "and I expect all of you to make him feel welcome."

When the teacher said that, Sheldon immediately raised his hand. "Oh boy, here he goes," I heard Georgie murmur.

Before the teacher could give Sheldon the floor, I stood up and said, "Well, thank you, ma'am, for your kind words. Although I'm the right age to be in 9th grade, you're correct in saying that I have a gift. If anyone needs help with anything, I wouldn't mind sharing my gift with anyone," I said with a falsely altruistic tone and a politician's smile. "By the way, I'm PJ, pleased to meet you all," I chuckled a bit at my obvious joke as I sat back down.

Many, including the teacher, acknowledged my obvious jest and laughed a little. Georgie, who was also quietly chuckling, said, "Thanks."

Until...

"PJ, the teacher was obviously referring to me," Sheldon said, turning on his chair to face me with a hint of annoyance in his voice. "I thought it was clear; I'm surprised you didn't notice," he continued, making the class laugh again.

"Yes, it was a little joke, Sheldon. We all know the teacher was talking about you," I explained to the child.

"Oh, I see now," Sheldon replied. "Sorry, Ms. MacElroy," he raised his hand again.

"Yes, Sheldon?"

"Oh boy," I muttered this time.

"Per the student dress and grooming code, this boy's hair is too long, this boy is wearing sports attire outside of a designated area, and this girl's blouse is diaphanous, which means I can see her brassiere," Sheldon quickly pointed to each person. Once again, when he finished, the class laughed a bit, except for Georgie, who banged his forehead on his desk.

"Thank you, I will take that into account," said the teacher, obviously not placing much importance on it, with fake gratitude. "Alright, we have a few minutes before the first period. I need all of you to fill out these forms," she continued with her false enthusiasm. "What?" she asked, seeing Sheldon raise his hand again.

"Also, in violation of the grooming code on page 48, article five, subsection B, you have a bit of a mustache," Sheldon shamelessly pointed out.

Laughter erupted in the classroom.

Teacher MacElroy seemed trance-like, with her eyes wide open and her jaw hanging loose. Suddenly snapping out of her trance, she quickly brought a hand to her face and said, "Fill out your forms, leave them on your desks, and wait for your first period so you can go to your math class. I have things to do in the teachers' room," she said as she swiftly left the room.

As soon as the teacher left the classroom, noise filled the room. Laughter began to be heard, some students filled out the forms in front of them while talking to their friends, and a few others stayed silent answering the questions on the form.