Chapter 46

If during the days leading up to the game, the attention to myself had begun to dissipate, the day after the game, on Friday, as I walked through the school hallways, to my utter disappointment, I was once again the center of attention of my peers; at least now it was for congratulations and excitement over the game's victory rather than unpleasant glances.

"I heard you guys won the game," Kat said, leaning against the closed locker next to mine, as it was becoming a daily occurrence.

"You heard?" I asked, exaggerating an offended look. "You didn't go to the game?" I continued.

"Watch a bunch of troglodytes crash into each other over a ball?" Kat asked, exhaling with exaggerated arrogance. "I have better things to do," the teenager continued, cleaning her nails in front of her face.

"Oh yeah sure, like listening to music completely alone in your room and writing songs that sadly no one else besides you will know," I said sarcastically, deducing knowing somewhat the girl's personality.

Apparently unable to deny my insinuation, "that was low, Duncan," Kat said, lowering her head slightly while shaking it.

"Well, you called me a troglodyte for rules I can't change in a game, whereas yours can easily be changed," I said arrogantly, smiling at the teenager who, finishing her act and trying to hide a growing nervousness, denied again, "they're not ready yet," she argued, what seemed to be the tenth time in our conversations when they turned to her music.

"For some reason, I don't believe you," I said haughtily, closing my locker.

"PJ," the sharp voice that I would recognize anywhere in this school called from the hallway, "Sheldon," I greeted the boy who was accompanied by an uncharacteristically annoyed Georgie, with a marked frown on his face.

"When they're ready, I'll let you listen to some, I promise," taking her things from the floor next to her, Kat said as a farewell before quickly walking away through the crowd.

"Were you with Stratford again?" Georgie asked, still with the frown on his face, but I could detect the interest behind his question.

"Yes," I simply replied. "So, does your dad want Sheldon to help with the plays?" I quickly asked, changing the subject.

"How do you know?" surprised, Sheldon, who was standing unusually straight for a kid, asked.

"Well, you arrived early and with Georgie, so you came together, and since yesterday, through a small conversation with Coach Cooper, I found out that the decisive play to win the game was thanks to you, I simply deduced it," I explained, leaving out Georgie's still present frown.

"That was a good deductive process, I wouldn't expect any less from you, PJ," Sheldon said, strangely proud as he nodded.

"Well, thank you, good sir," I said, putting a hand on my chest, thanking the boy with exaggerated formality, which Sheldon imitated surely without exaggeration.

"And don't worry, he's just going to help with the plays, he won't come out to give us orders or anything like that, besides, nobody else needs to know besides us," leaning in with Georgie, I whispered, avoiding his younger brother from overhearing us.

"Know what?" appearing suddenly by our side, impressively close as to not have noticed when Alan arrived, he asked calmly.

"When did you arrive?" Georgie, equally surprised as I, asked.

"A few seconds ago," opening his locker, Alan replied calmly, shrugging it off.

"Well, we weren't talking about anything," Georgie lied, seemingly relieved that Alan hadn't heard our entire conversation.