Chapter 55

This is a special chapter, one made to try to write much more than I had ever done before from a change of perspective.

I'm sorry, but this chapter can be considered a filler chapter, so there isn't really any story development (which doesn't mean it's not related to the story) but if you don't want to read it and wait until the next chapter, you are perfectly welcome to do so.

Meanwhile, those who do prefer to read this 'special' chapter.

Enjoy.

---

Along with a bunch of my friends, we went, as we do every year, to a barbecue at the same camping area. We had been doing it since we were in high school, and it was a tradition I hoped would continue for a long time. I really hoped we could keep it going.

Callie was eight months pregnant, which at that time, stupidly, didn't seem like such a risky situation to me.

The day was like any other day in Texas, completely sunny and perfect for a day in the woods.

A few hours after we arrived, a small family of three men of different ages arrived in an unattractive yellow truck with ads for an exterminator company.

Bob, obviously the owner of the company because of the name on the side of the truck, the father of the two boys traveling in the car, was a pleasant person, so they easily integrated into our group after Callie and I introduced ourselves.

PJ, as his father and brother called him, was a tall teenager and, by the looks of it, physically well-built, with a pleasant attitude and a maturity far beyond what I could imagine from a teenager his age.

It was clear that the boy should be popular just for these traits, but despite this, he didn't seem arrogant at all. In fact, quite the opposite. From the moment Callie and I approached the Duncan trio, the boy eloquently and concernedly asked how many months pregnant Callie was. Thinking back, it was possibly a sign of his worry.

After the Duncans settled into the camping site and after introducing Bob to the others, we continued with the barbecue.

The younger boy, about ten years old, like any other child his age, quickly got bored with the fishing trip with his father. Fortunately, he had his older brother and a few comic books.

At some point in the afternoon, the storm began. It arrived so quickly and suddenly that it was a stressful situation for everyone. According to the hospital doctors, this could have been one of the triggers for the premature labor.

On the kind of island away from the shore where everyone else was, only Callie, PJ, and I were separated by a stroke of bad or good luck. Because of Callie's pains and the speed at which the water moved in the river channels, it was impossible to reach the other side safely.

Callie's screams and the difficulty of the situation put me in check. I didn't know what to do, and the pressure of everything happening could have been fatal if only Callie and I had been there.

"There's a tent up there still," PJ shouted, snapping me out of the horrible and useless trance I was in. Without waiting, he helped me with Callie, and we walked to one of the tents his family had set up for the night.

"How far apart are the contractions?" With incredible professionalism, the teenager, several years younger than me, asked while helping me lay Callie on the floor of the tent.

The boy seemed completely unperturbed, as if this were an everyday occurrence. Callie answered his question, and the boy continued. Due to the shock of the situation, I didn't fully understand the sentence he said after that, just the end.