Chapter 26

When I arrived back home after a few minutes of walking, I found everyone, even the adult men, sitting at the table with grim expressions.

The younger ones, in particular, were rigidly in their places. Gabe and Sheldon were the least affected by whatever had happened in my absence. One was reading a comic book, while the other was gazing into space with a calm smile.

"PJ," Mom said, smiling cheerfully, "you're here. What's up with Dewey's family?" she continued with interest.

"His mother told me they'd be delighted to come. I gave them the address, and they said they would follow behind me," I explained to the now strangely cheerful woman.

"Good, good" she nodded slowly. "We're just waiting for them to come to have lunch," she continued, beaming at Bob, who mechanically nodded along with the other two present fathers.

As I took a seat between Gabe and little Dewey, my brother leaned in and whispered, "Mom went a little crazy when you weren't here," before slowly, even more slowly than he had approached, retreating to his original position to continue reading his comic with his back completely straight.

Looking around the table, I could see that the majority were uncomfortably seated, forcing smiles.

"So?" suddenly Georgie whispered, leaning over Dewey to speak with a suggestively wide smile.

"What?" I asked, intrigued by my strange friend.

"Oh, you know, your date with Regina," he said, even more suggestively, pursing his lips and exaggerating a disgusted sound as he hugged himself.

"Ew," my younger brother said with disgust, still with his comic book open but paying special attention to our conversation.

In a small bout of embarrassment, as my silly friend was drawing the attention of the adults on the other side of the table, I lightly tapped Georgie's side to get him to stop his annoying mime.

"Come on, we're friends. Tell me what happened," Georgie continued after recovering from the rib nudge.

Shaking my head in defeat, I began to tell Georgie, still over the big-eared boy's head, how the date went.

"So, you just talked?" he asked incredulously after I explained the more mundane parts of the date, skipping over the parts about Sarah and the end of the date.

"Well, yeah, more or less," I said, trying to downplay the significance of the date. A moment later, Mom stood up excitedly, "They've arrived," she said, smiling and pointing to the end of the garden.

At a small shabby truck parked in front of our house, a moment later, three more children and two adults, presumably their parents, emerged.

As the new family approached, the adults got up from the table to greet the newcomers.

"Do we have to get up too?" Gabe asked, frowning as he watched the adults introducing themselves.

"No, Gabe," I assured him as I stood up. "But if you don't want Mom to get mad, I suggest you do," I joked with the child as I ruffled his hair.

"Those are my brothers," Dewey suddenly pointed to the kids a few steps away from us.

The older boy from the new family, hearing Dewey, furrowed his brow as he approached the table.

When he was an arm's length away from Dewey, the older boy began to press the little boy's head. "Mom scolded us because of you," he said, obviously annoyed, ignoring the uncomfortable sounds the little boy made.

Despite being older than Dewey, Gabe, or Sheldon, the new boy seemed even smaller from my perspective. He didn't appear much older than Teddy, possibly around thirteen or twelve.