Chapter 7

Kavita's POV

Standing in the kitchen, I am looking at the tea boiling in the pan, but my full focus is on the emotions boiling within me.

I have been unable to forget what happened two nights back no matter how much I have been trying to.

The way Sameerji talked with me, the way he slapped me, his anger and roughness. Everything has caused even my soul to shiver.

And him taking the name of another girl.

"Surili."

That name still rings in my ears.

Since our wedding night, whenever he came close to me, I completely submitted myself to him. Because I felt, after the marriage, I am his and he is mine.

But, after that night, many questions have risen within me.

From the moment I heard him taking another girl's name, I have started to feel as if I have become his, but perhaps, he is not mine. Because there is someone else in his heart.

I wanted to talk about it with him the very next morning. Wanted to ask all the questions that had risen within me. But before I could ask or say anything, he told me that he was going to his sister's sasural.

I was surprised when I heard that because I didn't even know he had a sister.

After he was gone, when I asked Maaji about it, she told me that her daughter is pregnant. And she could not come to our wedding because she fell ill at that time.

And now as her date is nearing, she is coming to her parents' house for the delivery.

That is why Sameerji went to her house to bring her home.

Pitaji told us in the morning that Sameerji would be home by tonight.

Since the time I have heard this, I have been feeling restless.

I have been unable to forget Sameerji's behavior from that night until now.

He had behaved similarly before too.

At that time, I had somehow consoled myself because then, I was at fault. That is why, I accepted the punishment he gave me for my fault.

But this time, I was not at fault at all.

It was Sameerji was was drunk, and it was him who behaved so roughly with me. And he was the one who took Surili's name while he was getting intimate with me.

He didn't like it when my pallu slid down my head. He got so angry that he punished me for it the whole night.

But when he thought about some other girl while being close me, was that a right thing?

When he slapped me without any fault of mine, got intimate with me even when I said no, was that a right thing?

"Yeh kya kar rahi hai, Bahu? Pura bartan jala diya."

Maaji's loud voice snaps me out of my thoughts and my focus shifts to the burnt vessel over the stove.

"Maaf kijiye, Maaji's," I say, hurriedly taking a cloth and taking the utensil off the flame.

"Dhyaan kahaan hai tera? Yahin khadi hai par phir bhi dikhai nahi diya ki chai ubhal ke gir gayi hai aur pura bartan sukh ke jalne bhi laga hai?"

"Galti ho gayi, Maaji. Pata nahi kaise mera dhyan nahi gaya."

She glares at me. "Pata nahi kya soch ke Sameer ke Pitaji ne tujhe iss ghar ke Bahu ke roop mein chuna. Kuch aata jaata toh hai nahi. Bas galtiyan karna jaanti hai."