Chapter 25

Kavita's POV

It has been two days since Sameerji has locked me in this storeroom. I am being let out of here only twice in a day. Once in the morning to take a bath and freshen up and once in the evening, so I can use the bathroom again.

Both the times, it is Sameerji who comes, being too cautious to not let me run away.

And every time, he asks if my mind has come to the right track and if I am ready to give in.

But each time that he asks, I firmly say no to him.

For one moment, just one moment in the last two days, I had thought to just pretend to give in so I would at least not have to be locked in this room, but then, I also thought about the consequences of it.

I knew the moment I would give in, even if just pretend to give in, he will use me again.

'Par ab main unhe mera istemaal karne nahi dungi. Unhe katayi mujhe chhune nahi dungi.'

My stomach growls and I clutch it for a bit, before drinking the remaining water that was left in the glass which was given to me this morning.

Sameerji really meant it when he said that I would be given only one meal a day and would have to beg for water.

I am given one roti with an onion in the morning and a glass of water to last me an entire day.

They have been treating me worse than a prisoner here. And why? Because I don't want to stay here, agreeing to be everyone's maid and Sameerji's mistress?

'Main mar jaungi par inn logon ki baat nahi manungi. Jisko jo karna hai karle.'

It's not that I have not been trying to get out of here.

I have been trying since Sameerji locked me here. Trying to open the door at nights, even screaming during the days, hoping someone from outside this house would hear and come to rescue me.

But no one has come and none of my techniques to open the door has been successful too.

Tonight is my third night in this room, and I feel like my body is slowly giving away.

No matter how strong my will is, but the way Sameerji is treating me, not allowing me to eat and drink properly, my body is definitely starting to break.

I wonder if this is what he wants to do. To bring me to the point that I will need to given in if I want to stay alive.

'Nahi. Main itni jaldi haar nahi maan sakti. Mujhe iss kaid se aajaad hona hoga. Yahaan se kaise bhi karke nikalna hoga.'

Standing up from the floor, I look around for something that can help me with getting the door open. I have been searching this room for the last two days and all the things that I have found have not been able to open the door.

"Phir bhi mujhe koshish karti rehni hogi," I tell myself, and slowly limp around to find something useful in the light of the moonlight shining through the small window near the ceiling of the room.

After looking around for a few minutes, I sit on the dusty floor again, unable to bear the pain over the sole of my left foot.

The pain is from the cuts I got after I accidentally stepped on the glass pieces of the bulb which Sameerji had shattered two nights back.

The fake worry that Sameerji had shown me in the morning when he had seen blood over the floor and on my foot still angers me.

"Apna khayal rakh, Kavita. Mujhe chahiye ki meri rakheil hamesha sundar aur swasth rahe, bina kisi ghav aur uske daag ke," he had said while forcefully dressing and bandaging my wound.