Epilogue

Kavita's POV

Sitting on the bed decorated with the flowers, I wait for my husband to enter the room.

Soft glow of moonlight filtering through the curtains has casted a gentle luminescence over the room. Today had been a whirlwind of emotions and celebrations, my heart dancing with joy with the realization that I have married the man, who I love with all my heart. And now, in the stillness of the night, I feel a profound sense of serenity.

I smile at the way my heart is thudding against my chest, but the racing heartbeat is not due to the fear, it is due to the happy anticipation that I feel as I am about to embark on this journey because I know it is going to be a wonderful one.

After all, my partner in this journey is going to be my Anirudhji. The man who I not only love, but also respect and trust.

Putting my hand on the other one over the knee, I give myself a slight pinch for the third time, willing myself to believe that this is indeed real. That I am now Anirudhji's wife.

Last one year after Anirudhji returned from the hospital has been a mix of our struggles, healing, overcoming the angst, as well as finding happiness.

While Anirudhji tried his best every day to heal his body, I tried to heal my broken self and soul.

I am both happy and grateful that Anirudhji is now fit and healthy. He can walk on his own, his hands no longer tremble while carrying heavy things, and his scars have also faded.

It was devastating for me to see him struggle in doing basic things, but I am now relieved that he has fully recovered.

Whereas me, I feel like I am still a work in progress.

Although I stayed with Sameer and his family for only five months, the angst from the trauma I suffered in that small timeframe is still within me.

Everything I went through there—the insults, taunts, abuse, hurt—everything still has the potential to sting my eyes and clench my heart. And in addition to that, there is also the pain of losing not only my mother after her death, but also the pain of losing my father and brother even though they are still alive.

But I fight through pain every day. And each day I feel I smile a little brighter and my heart feels a little lighter.

I have a belief that one day I will be able to completely let go of the pain and embrace only happiness in my life and I will never lose my faith. I will keep hoping until I turn my belief into my reality.

I am hopeful because along with my strength, my Anirudhji is with me too. And he will be with me forever now. Tonight is the start of our forever.

The opening of the door snaps me out of my thoughts and I look up to see Anirudhji entering the room.

My vision is slightly foggy because of the ghunghat over my face, but I do not remove it. I want Anirudhji to do that.

The bed dips slightly when he sits on the edge beside me and slowly raise the ghunghat from my face.

Gazing at him, his eyes filled with tenderness makes my heart swell with love. Tears prick my eyes, but I do not mind them tonight. Because they are the happy tears of my dream coming true.

"Kavitaji," he says, his voice a soothing balm to my soul. "Kya aap mujhe chimti kaat sakti hain?"

Slightly chuckling, I do as he said and lightly pinch him. I do not question why he asked me to do that because I know the answer already. After all, I too have pinched myself three times to make myself believe this is not a dream.