Chapter 6

Kavita's POV

Standing on the balcony outside my room, I look at the moon.

Today is Purnima's night, due to which the full moon was in the view.

The moon looked so still that, if I was happy, I would have felt calmness settle within me.

But that is the thing. I am not happy.

Can a person be sad without any reason? Because I do not know why I am unhappy.

It's been a month since I got married to Sameerji. And I feel like this month passed just like that.

Sameerji and I sleep on the same bed every night. He gets intimate with me almost every night too. But still, I feel like there is still much distance between us.

Neither he knows anything about me, nor do I know anything about him.

Well, I now know what his favorite dishes are. But this too, I got to know, not from Sameerji, but from his mother.

A few days back, when I made bitter gourd for lunch, Sameerji went to work without eating anything.

That day, Maaji scolded me and told me that Sameerji does not like bitter gourd.

And then, she started telling me the dishes that he liked and also told me about the dishes that he disliked. She also sternly said to me that I should only make the dishes he eats so that he would never go to work on empty stomach.

I did not know that marriages are like this.

I had thought after getting married, my husband and I would share our happiness and sadness with each other.

But Sameerji hardly ever talks with me, let alone sharing his happiness or sadness with me.

I do keep trying to talk with him.

Every evening when he returns home from work, I take tea for him and sit with him for a while. I tell him about how my day was. But he never fully focuses on me or my words. His gaze is always over his files and papers even when drinking the tea.

Him not saying anything does sadden me. He only says he is listening. But other than that, he neither says anything, nor does he ask anything.

And in the darkness of the night, whenever we are in the room, he only-

"Kavita, yahaan kya kar rahi hai?"

Sameerji's voice startles me, and I turn to look at him.

"Ji, kuch nahi. Bas aise h-"

"Chal kamre ke andar aaja," he says, interrupting me.

"Ji, abhi aayi."

Nodding at him, I follow him inside the room.

When I enter the room, I see him trying to take off his clothes while slightly swaying.

"Aap ne sharab pi hai?"

Instead of replying, he somehow manages to take off his kurta first and then his dhoti.

"Chal ab tu bhi kapde utaar aur bistar pe lait."

I hesitate. "Ji, aapne sharab pi rakhi hai. Aaj aise hi so jaate hain?"

He glares at me, and stepping closer to me, he roughly grabs my hair.

"Saali, mujhe naa kahegi tu? Apne pati ko naa kahegi?"

He pushes me on the bed.

Before I could get down from the bed, he climbs on the bed and positions himself on top of me.