EIGHTEEN

~A~

I wasn't ever going to see him again. I would cut my losses, close the store for the winter, and move across the Cape until he left in the spring.

Right, who was I kidding? Only myself.

I could stop making the deliveries to the house. I could tell him that Thursday fish and chips was taking too much time away from my time with Bean. There were things that I could do to minimize exposure to him.

But how would I explain it to Bean?

Well, whatever happened, I was going to cancel Tuesday's delivery. I needed time to think, time to regain my composure, time for the memory of puking my drunk guts up on Harry Styles' lawn to fade a bit.

(text from Alex to Harry)

Bean has a soccer game Tuesday night. Can't bring fish. Sorry.

(text from Harry to Alex)

Ok. Tell him I hope his team wins.

(no reply)

He didn't say anything about Thursday, and I was afraid to bring it up. I wasn't sure what would be worse, facing him or knowing he didn't want to see me, but I had four days to mull it over.

***

It sleeted then froze overnight Wednesday, and the little bridge over the marsh into Janesport was covered with an inch thick sheet of ice on Thursday morning, preventing the bus from getting to us. A few of the parents braved the roads, but I decided to let Bean stay with me for the day.

Knowing there would be little or no business, we opened late, around ten o'clock. Ed and Andy were the only regulars for lunch, but Lisha joined us, and it was a festive little gathering. I kept the menu simple since it was just 'family.' Bean helped make the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and doled out canned fruit cocktail into paper cups.

The fryer was ready to go and I was almost finished mixing up the batter for Harry's fish, when I realized that, between the roads and my pathetic behavior the weekend before, he probably wouldn't be coming. And I hadn't gotten any fish anyway. Damn.

"Anyone want a deep fried Oreo?"

***

The radio was on, Lisha and Bean were dancing in the aisles, and we had finished the 4-pack of cookies and moved on to different candy bars when the bell on the door jingled.

"Haaaaaroooold! I'm not in school and we're frying candy and come dance with me and Aunt Lisha!"

Bean was the only one of us moving or making a sound.

I found my voice, although it was frustratingly quiet and unsure. "I... I didn't think you were coming. I don't have any fish."

"I'll make Harold's lunch. Do you like PB&J? We have fruit cocktail, too. Come sit with Ed and Uncle Andy, and I'll be your cook. What do you want to drink?"

"Thank you, Bean. That would be lovely. I'll get myself something to drink."

The man seemed completely unflappable as he made his way to the cooler, leaving his hat and scarf by the register, and came to sit down next to Ed at the counter.

As Bean began to make the sandwich, I took the most recent batch of treats out of the fryer, trying to avoid eye contact with Harry.

Ed broke the silence.

"Nice to see you, Mr. Selley. Your friend George not coming in?"

I hadn't even thought about George. "Harry, you can't let him stay out in the car in this weather. It's freezing cold, and a waste of gas if he keeps the car running. Please ask him in."

All eyes were on me as I scolded him like I was his mother.

"Alex, why did you call him Harry?"

Shit shit shit. Think of something. Anything.

Lisha had my back. "Harry can be a nickname for Harold, like Andy is a nickname for Andrew, right?"

Andy nodded, "And like Bean is a nickname for Benjamin."

"The only person who calls me Benjamin is Mrs. Murphy. And Alex, when I'm in trouble. But Harold isn't an in trouble name for you, is it? Because you're not in trouble when I call you Harold."

He ruffled the boy's hair, "You can call me either. I answer to both. In trouble or out of it." He gave me a fleeting glance before he said to the room at large, "George stayed back at the house today. Now, let's see how this tastes."

We sat quietly, Harry eating his sandwich while we tried the fried Twix and KitKat bars. Ed excused himself to go back to work, followed shortly by Lisha. Of course she couldn't leave without stirring the pot.

"I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon, Harold. I told Alex I'll be happy to take an evening off for dinner at her house, just tell me when." She went out the door with a big smile and a wink at Harry. I'd forgotten that I'd mentioned it to her.

Ignoring my pleading looks and attempted telepathy begging him not to go, Andy was the next to bail. "Nice to meet you out of costume, Harold. I've got some things to take care of before I go into work tonight. Someone called out so I'm on for thirty-six hours. I'm sure it'll be all slip and falls and cars off the road with this ice. You all stay safe. Hope to see you again soon at Alex's."

Bean walked Andy to the door, then came back and took the stool next to Harry.

"How was your sandwich?"

"Delicious, thank you."

"What are we having for dinner tomorrow night? Is the pool frozen? I slid on the sidewalk this morning and fell on my butt!"

I couldn't deal with Bean's commentary or Harry's intense gaze any longer.

"Bean, I think we're going to pass on dinner at Harold's this week. There won't be any fish and it sounds like the weather won't be getting any better between now and then. It'll be even harder to see ice on the roads after dark. As a matter of fact, Harold, you should probably go home soon. To be safe."

He heaved a great sigh before speaking. "You're probably right. Getting over the Maiden Island hill was a bit tricky. Thanks for the sandwich, Bean."

He left without another word, without saying goodbye.

***

I decided to close up after Harry left. As we were walking in the house my phone buzzed.

(text from Harry to Alex)

Made it home in one piece. Sorry I crashed your party. Should have realized you wouldn't be expecting me. I appreciated your friends' discretion

(text from Alex to Harry)

Glad you're safe. Sorry I didn't have fish for you. They're good friends. Would you still like to have dinner with them? If you don't want to that's ok

(text from Harry to Alex)

Dinner would be good but only if you want to.

(text from Alex to Harry)

Ok

(text from Harry to Alex)

Ok

Well that was an unsatisfying exchange.

We ate a light dinner and watched a movie, snuggled on the sofa with the cats. Nyx had made a habit of dragging Harry's scarf around the house, creating nests with it in odd places. It was tucked half under one of the cushions when I sat down, and as I pulled it out and laid it along the back of the sofa I caught the faint scent of Harry.

I had to blink away the tears that suddenly threatened to fall.