FORTY

~H~

(facetime, Harry and Gemma)

"Are you coming?"

Did she really just ask that question?

"Don't be stupid, of course I am."

"Is Alex coming?"

"I don't know yet. I might have made a mistake."

"What do you mean?"

"I asked the Lowells if they'd mind the store and Bean while we were away before I asked her if she'd come. She didn't like that."

"You're the stupid one. You get that she's used to being completely independent, right? Isn't that something you like about her? That she doesn't need you?"

"Yes, but-"

"No buts, butthead."

I hate it when she interrupts me. She's been doing it since I could talk. If the world knew how much I haven't said because my big sister thinks she knows best...

"You're not going to get where you want to be with her if you take away her power of choice. Imagine how I'd react. Imagine how Mum would react."

Ok, maybe this time she does know better. Neither of them would be happy if I made a decision like that without at least testing the waters first. Surprises are good, being given orders is not.

"I see your point. She texted a few minutes before you called. She's coming over soon. I'm going to try and make it right."

"Good boy."

I hate it when she says that. I'm not a dog. Time to change the subject.

"Mum's over the moon, you know that, right?"

If there were such a sport, Gemma could be a competitive eye roller. This time it's gold medal worthy.

"Do I ever. She wanted to orchestrate everything. You know how she can be a bit over the top, so that was too risky. I compromised and hired someone."

"I thought the whole point was to not make a big deal out of it? I liked that idea."

"It'll be exactly what we want. We've got the house we were hoping for, and wait until you see the sunset from the little beach. They say it's even better in person than in the photos."

"That's fantastic. Are you going to post to social media while we're there? When people find out, it's going to be crazy."

"This is just for us, no posts, and it's going to be lovely. Please talk to Alex. We want her there too."

"I'm glad you feel that way."

There's the gate opening. It must be her.

"Gem, I've got to go. She's coming up the drive."

"Good luck, little brother. Let me know as soon as you can if she's coming. It wouldn't be the same without her. I feel like she's part of the family."

I like the sound of that.

"I will. Love you."

"Love you more."

***

~A~

It can be very difficult to be mad at Harry Styles, especially when he comes out of his house in striped pyjama bottoms, a polka dot pyjama top, and his hair in three daisy shaped clips. I was distracted, but just for a moment.