SIXTY SIX

~H~

Fuck. And it was such a nice evening. Where are the guys?

"Fred!"

***

~A~

"Fred!" Harry's voice was low but sharp.

He was over the railing and down on the beach before Joe had lowered his camera, gripping the much smaller man's arm firmly.

Harry leaned over and called down, "Bring him up here."

Fred guided him around to the steps and up to the table. George pulled a chair over and made it clear that Joe was expected to sit, which he did, keeping a death grip on his camera.

"Hello, Joe."

"George."

"Glad Fred was here to make that jump. My knees aren't what they used to be. Neither is my aim. I might've landed with my elbow right in your face."

I hadn't gotten a good look at the photographer at the ball game. Very average at first glance; he would blend into any crowd. Up close I could see that he was skinny, with a pointed, ferret-like face and sneaky eyes. He gave me the creeps.

Harry turned to sit backwards in his chair, facing the photographer.

"Joe... what're we going to do about this? You know the only reason Jeff hasn't come after you is because you left the boy's name and face out of your article and your photos."

"I'm not stupid. I know exactly how far I can go and stay legal. That was a public place. This is a public place. And the kid's not here tonight."

"How much did they pay you? I bet you waited so long to publish because you were working them against one another. People is obvious here in the States, no bargaining there. Who were you dangling it in front of in the UK? The Sun, the Star, the Mirror, and the Mail? How much more did the Star pay you?"

"Five thousand."

"And what was the final price?"

"I don't have to tell you that."

"That's alright, Jeff probably knows by now anyway. Shall we talk about what just happened here?"

"I took some photographs of people in a public place. Legal."

"I'm going to ask you to please leave, without taking any more photographs. Fred and Bill will be glad to walk you to your car. We'll give George's knees a break, and keep you out of the way of his bad aim. Will you agree to that?"

I didn't know what to make of this Harry. His voice was so calm, his gaze so intense. I felt like I was watching a scene from a mob movie. It was almost frightening. I looked at Caroline, wondering if this side of him was new to her as well. She didn't look at all disturbed.

"I'll go. No need for an escort."

"Oh, they'll be coming with you. Wouldn't want you to go astray. Goodbye, Joe."

As soon as they were off the deck and into the parking lot, George patted his hand gently on Harry's shoulder and Caroline took one of his hands in her own.

"That was fantastic," she whispered. "He was scared shitless. You're getting so much better at it."

I'm guessing my face had the same clueless look as Ian's because Caroline looked from him to me and laughed.

"Ah, I see that was your first time."

"My first time what?"

"Seeing Harry do the thing."