THIRTY FIVE

~A~

Dinner was hysterical. Anne told stories about Harry as a boy, Jeff told stories about Harry as a man, I told the story of our first encounter. We did our best to keep the language PG-13, but Bean asked Anne for an empty jar and started demanding change for swears before we were done our appetizers.

After the meal, Gemma and I went into the kitchen to prepare Harry's cake. She seemed listless as she took the Mandeville's box from the fridge. I decided to risk being rude and try to find out what was going on.

"I don't want to pry, but are you feeling ok Gemma? Your mom told me you've been working hard on something, but you seem really low. Even Harry mentioned it earlier today."

"I'm alright, just really tired these days. Mum's right, what I've been working on has taken a lot out of me, but it'll be worth it. I'm not ready to share my... project... quite yet, but you'll be one of the first to see it, I promise." Her smile was genuine, so I decided not to press for more.

"Shall I film the bringing out of the cake and blowing out of the candles? That way all his family and friends can be in the photos and video." I knew this was going to be an important minute to document, not just for social media, but for Harry himself.

Her smile deepened, showing the family dimples. "I think he expects you and Bean to be a part of this. Mum's setting up her tripod out there right now."

"I don't know... do you think Jeff would want me there? I don't even know if I want me there."

She nodded sagely, "It's a big step. The fact that Harry wants you there is kind of a big deal. It'll be different, because you're not known, but it'll change things."

She was silent for a moment, as she gathered plates and forks while I placed the thirty candles carefully around the top of the cake.

"He's very serious about you. And he's my little brother. I like you, Alex, a lot, but I worry..."

"He's important to me, and to Bean. I-" I stopped short. What had I almost said? "I don't want any of us to get hurt. I'm not sure where this is going, or what will happen when he leaves Janesport, but I'm going to do my best to make sure we're all ok."

"Thank you. I suppose I just needed to hear it from you, off the cuff. And I think you should be with us, not behind the camera. Please."

It was quite a scene. Harry was seated, with Anne and Gemma on either side, a very excited Bean jumping up and down, the rest of us singing around him. A happy family celebrating. This time it was the video and a few stills that were posted - Harry cutting the cake, Harry with frosting smeared on his smiling face, Harry holding the sock puppet that Bean had made him - with a caption of one single word, that said it all. "Happy!"

We broke the record.

"One fifty three! One minute fifty three seconds to a million!" Jeff was jumping around the room, champagne bottle in hand. Harry, Bean on his shoulders, made the rounds, kissing everyone. Darren played DJ as we sang and danced to some old school disco until we were sweaty and hoarse.

We knew it was time to call it a night when Bean, who had taken himself upstairs and put on his pyjamas, came back down and scolded us for keeping him up so late.

Jeff and Glenne left not long after, promising to come back in the morning for breakfast. The rest of us made a halfhearted attempt to do dishes and clean before giving up and going to bed. As Harry and I curled up together, he held me close.

"Thank you. For my gifts. For being a part of everything. Before you, I wasn't sure I'd ever be happy again. This was my happiest birthday yet." He yawned, pressing his face into the nape of my neck. "I think you've saved me." He was whispering now, "I think I love you."