SIXTY FIVE

~A~

"Are you ready to go?" Harry walked into the massive closet, and stopped short. "We've got to leave in ten minutes and you're naked."

He looked perfect, of course, in slouchy natural linen trousers and a scoop neck light green t-shirt.

"I don't know what to wear. Getting dressed isn't usually a problem for me, but I never know what to wear when I think we might be photographed. Like on Bean's birthday. The game wasn't an issue because I kind of had a uniform, you know, with the team shirt. This situation could be problematic for my future."

"Were you happy with what I chose on Bean's birthday?"

"You know I was."

"Then why don't I do it again? It'll get easier, I promise. Now, let's see..."

Eight minutes later I was walking out the door in crisp, cuffed navy shorts and a white silk collared shirt of Harry's, tied in a knot just above my waist. I wore a new accessory: an octagonal garnet set in gold that Harry used to wear on his pinky now nestled with my mother's wedding band on the middle finger of my right hand.

At first I wasn't sure about it. The entire situation revolving around the rose ring made me uncomfortable, but he was certain.

"I seem to recall you once asked me, if we were going steady, shouldn't you wear my ring? I think you're absolutely right."

I didn't argue.

Caroline and Ian were waiting on her porch when we drove up, watching a crowd gathered across the street at the beach club.

"You wouldn't believe the strings I had to pull to get him out of there tonight! It's the annual charity auction. Mom gave them a five digit donation, so they gave him the rest of the night off." She hugged each of us, before introducing the men.

It was interesting seeing them side by side. Ian was a classic Ivy League prep, in khaki shorts, a madras shirt, and boat shoes. Handsome as hell, but absolutely interchangeable with any of one hundred men I'd met over the years in Janesport.

Caroline might have been Ian's twin, with her black hair and blue eyes, and her well-worn but high end pink linen sundress and matching pink scuffed leather slides that I was pretty sure were Hermès.

'They're just people, Alex, that might walk into the store and need something.' My father's voice resonated in my head, tamping down the rising anxiety.

And then there was Harry. Handsome as hell and absolutely, uniquely, comfortably himself. And he loved me, just the way I was.

The anxiety was gone.

The Fluke was packed, but Lisha had reserved a corner spot on the deck for us, over the sandy beach but with easy access to the parking lot. Fred led us from the SUV onto the deck, then joined Bill and George, who had come ahead in my truck, at an adjoining table. An ever-watchful Lisha was out in moments to take our orders.

"You're in luck. A few of the Family are on the other side of the deck, getting a lot of attention. Their security is a lot meaner looking than yours, though, so the crowd might not stay over there long. What can I get you?"

We were halfway through our first drinks when Bill's head snapped to attention, followed by George's and Fred's.

"You're on camera, but no one's coming this way."

Harry nodded at Fred's warning, then turned back to the table. "Nothing to worry about, my dears, where were we? Ah, Ian was about to regale us with a story about Caroline's antics at, what was your school called?"