SIXTY NINE

~H~

(phone call, Harry to Jeff)

"How does it look?" Jeff's been keeping an eye on social media all afternoon. He's going to want a bonus for working on a holiday.

"All good. I have to hand it to you, I was really worried it might get out of hand, but it didn't. Not that many posts, all good photos, and even some good reviews of your skill at the griddle. Brilliant to make them order food to get close to you. Was it mayhem in there?"

"No, not at all. There were a few cars full of girls from the area, and Alex said it was busier than usual, but not overwhelming. She did just over five thousand in sales, evidently that's close to double her usual for the Fourth of July. She's very happy."

Should I tell him about the tips? I didn't even know the jar was up there. No, he'll probably want a cut, and I want to give it to Bean. He worked really hard today. Wait, what's he saying?

"...so what do you think?"

"About what?"

"About a statement? Not from you, from us. Saying that you're not married."

"Sure. I'm happy not saying anything to anyone. Alex said some of the people who came in were checking out her left hand. The only ring she wears is a little diamond band and a ring I gave her, and they're on her right middle finger. No confusing it for something else."

"I saw that Caroline was there. Things ok with her and Alex? No cat fights?"

"She was a big help. She and Alex get along fine. Alex understands what Caroline and I were to each other, and what we are now. Which is loving friends."

"Does Alex know about Medicine?"

Alex is understanding about Caroline, but I'm not sure she'd be comfortable with that. "No, and I plan on it staying that way."

"Probably a good move. What are your plans for tonight?"

"Alex and George have Bean at the beach club for a cookout right now. We thought it would be more fun for him if he could just be one of the kids, not there with me. Honestly, I was tired after working at the store. I'm not at one hundred percent yet."

I don't think I'll ever be where I was during the tour again. And somehow that's ok with me, but Jeff's not going to like it.

"Where are you? Eighty five percent, ninety? I know you're working out, but are you eating right? Do we need to get a trainer in? The sooner you're ready to look ahead to the next tour the better."

What a prick.

"Jeff, I'm not even close to a new album, much less a tour, and you know I want to do small venues next time. I'm glad to be back in the public eye, but nothing more. Not yet. I do want you to make a statement. I'm not married. I'm enjoying time with my family and looking forward to getting back into the studio soon. That's it. Those words. Understood?"

"Maybe we'll tweak it..."

"Those words."

"Understood."

***

~A~

Harry was asleep on a chaise lounge on the terrace when we got home from the beach club cookout. The golden, summer evening light glowed in his hair as he lay curled on his side, face smoothed of worry lines and mouth open as he softly snored. He looked like the boy I met so many years before. I was taking a quick video, trying to catch a few good snores, when Bean walked up.