A Queen I Must Be

as darkness moves to its own laws, many living things find refuge within its depths

the world around me began to fracture, like paint peeling away in a storm, each fragment stripping away layers of my being, exposing old wounds. images from nightmares I had long since tried to escape flooded back, the sharp sting of pain licking at my skin like a cold tongue on ice, making me shudder. 

but If darkness is its own realm, then I am its sovereign, reigning over its vast expanse. my eyes, grey and filled with emotions too deep to fathom, mirrored the darkness that surrounded me. with a fire coursing through my veins and a protective layer beneath my skin, I tread heavily on the earth beneath my feet. my lips, as fragile as glass, and my voice, as sharp as steel, were born from the thunderous pain within me – that's the queen I must be. 

with the crown held high, "I refuse to let sorrow sing its mournful song within me, nor will I allow the darkness to seize control. as long as the purity of my heart and spirit stand strong like a warrior, I will engage in my silent battles and emerge victorious."

"Yes, but allow me to join you in ruling this darkness. Let me be the king who will kneel before her majesty, kiss the back of her hands, caress her face, serve her, and tenderly tuck her into bed."

"Allow me to participate in her difficulties and remain by her side during the rough battle. Allow me to be the one to bring consolation in the middle of chaos, to create a safe haven in the midst of a storm. Allow me to keep an eye on you from a distance to ensure that you are secure and happy, my queen."

"But I caution you, do not look too deep... its a battlefield."

|short story|
myinkspeaks