Wild Tryouts

Tyler's P.O.V.

"Alright everyone! The basketball JV tryouts are about to begin! Again..." Coach Parker muttered the last part as he had yelled at the puny little ninth and tenth graders that wanted to get in.

Coach Parker had already done two days of try-outs and this was the very last day. Today the focus was getting all the Junior Varsity try-outs over with so that we could start the Varsity try-outs. The reason he left it toward the end was because really, Varsity tryouts you either have it or you don't. Try-outs go by fast for the Varsity team.

Just as all the potential players lined up, the entrance doors that had already been closed for the try-outs to begin swung open. The loudness made us all look his direction.

It was that kid- that freshman...what was his name?

He looked at us wide eyed as he tried to gently close the door behind him but the door still made a loud sound.

"ARE YOU HERE FOR TRY-OUTS?! BECAUSE IF YOU ARE- YOU'RE LATE!" Coach Parker yelled at him as he huffed annoyed.

"I know Coach Parker, I'm so sorry! I didn't realize try-outs started yesterday-" He started to apologize but I could already tell Coach Parker wasn't putting up with it.

"YESTERDAY?!" He chuckled mockingly. "YESTERDAY?! They've been going on for the past three days now! DIDN'T YOU READ THE FLYER?!"

So maybe this kid was in deep sh*t but like I feel bad for the kid...I mean after all, he did get me those Nike, Jordan shoes I wanted...

JORDAN!! That's this kid's name!

"Umm...yes sir-" Jordan answered looking a bit down.

"WELL THEN IT'S SET! YOU KNEW ABOUT THE TIME SO THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR YOU TO BE LATE!" Coach Parker seemed more irritated than usual...I'm guessing it's his newborn daughter keeping him up all night and having his mother-in-law in town, plus doing try-outs that's making him have a bad mood.

How do I creepily know all this stuff?

Well, what can I say... to get to the top sometimes you gotta kiss someone's a** and in this case, It's Robert Parker I need to keep happy. And keeping him happy involves knowing what the heck he's doing wrong in his life.

"Is-is there something I can do to still get in?" Jordan asked practically pleading the Coach. The Coach looked amused by Jordan's attempts to persuade him. He looked like he had calmed down a little because he took in a few breathes and let them out slowly as he rubbed his temple and shook his head.

"Listen, son. The only way you're getting in is by a miracle now. You either wait until next year and make sure you show up in time and early next time or you tryout for Varsity this year and pray for a miracle to happen..." A chuckle automatically escaped my mouth before I could prevent it.

But can you blame me?!

I mean a freshmen getting into Varsity?!

That's nuts! It's not impossible because I did it, but it sure is hard!

The Coach slowly turned his head back to me and gave me an annoyed look, "Is something funny, Wild?!"

"Well, Robert give Jordan here a fighting chance! I mean, not everyone can get into Varsity as a freshman. Don't you think you're being too harsh on him?" My job here is done. If Jordan wanted me to help him, I just did. Now that, that's off my shoulders I can go about my day!

"Listen here, cup-cake! I'm not here to be told by one of my players what to do! I know when I'm being fair and I know when I'm not! So how 'bout you watch that attitude and give me some respect! It's Coach PARKER, may I remind you!" Coach PARKER popped out his eyeballs at me as he turned back his attention to Jordan.