Chapter: 3: The Truth?

I arrived to the restaurant and the waitress lead me to the balcony when I see fresh picked bright red roses with some thorns sticking out from their stems, wrapped in a neatly tied ribbon placed in a beautiful silhouette vase in the center of a table set so formal with a white table cloth placed, and whine classes, silver spoons and forks.

Decorated lights that look so bright in the night, placed around the tables and palm trees and a wonderful view of the cities buildings and below the cities lights. To tie it all together James stepped in looking his best in a tuxedo, which made everything romantic. I didn’t deserve all this, a movie with him would be great, but this is wonderful, this is what drives me away from everything else.

Since my mission trip to South Africa during the summer and James being busy with helping tutoring students at school we haven’t found time to spend with each other. Now that school has started and the weekend is finally here.

I was dressed in a black spaghetti strap dress carrying a black clutch and wearing my gladiator high heels.

He handed me a bouquet of flowers the same roses that were on the table, and like a gentle men he gestured me to sit down at a table for two.

“This is amazing.” I finally say, only because no words can describe how great this is, but that will have to do.

“I’m happy to hear that.” He kisses me on the cheek before taking his seat.

“I had to work hard to get all this done, my father can be very greedy when it comes to his restaurants.” He says with a frustrated face expression. I smile shaking my head.

We were at one of the many restaurants his father owns; his father is also one of the cities greatest chefs. His mother works as a nurse, she has been working as one for a few years now. It’s a job that she does part time aside from going to school, and when she completes school she’ll be working as a doctor.

Our food came and I noticed that we haven’t ordered; James must have planned that out to I thought. The waitress reveals to us our dishes after he places them on our table. We both had shrimp and lobster and it looks so delicious we both dive in, without even saying grace.

James POV:

I’m actually enjoying myself with Ava … until I get a text from Heather. I ignore it this time, I don’t want to break Ava’s heart, we’ve known each other for our whole life and this can actually work. I could never tell her what I’ve done that summer night, I’ve helped her and her family so much and when I do it it’s like putting a million smiles on her face. Her joy is my joy I only want to see her be happy.

Ava knows how to love me, care for me, and she listens. She trusts me and she’s devoted to me, I don’t want to lead her on and drop everything. Looking at her from across the table right now and seeing how I make her happy … Why would I jeopardize that? I want to hold her and never let her go.

I get another text from Heather and Ava stops in med sentence.

“It’s nothing.” I say. She signs and drops her posture when she’s interrupted again.

“You know… if you have some where ….to go …” She says dragging every letter of each word out.

“No it’s fine, please continue.” I exclaim.

“James …” She says eyeing me.

“Yeah?” I say curious as to what she has to say now.

“I didn’t say anything.” She says.

“Oh.” I say dumbfounded.

“You should go  ...” She said softly.

I’ve disappointed her, and I could feel my heart sink.

I want to be upset with Heather but how can I …. When memories of I and her together makes me lust for her …

That summer when Ava went to South Africa a part of me was longing for her. I was down in the dumps but I didn’t want her to worry about me. I was at the tutoring center at school with what I call the world’s dumbest students, practically the jocks. I was so caught up and use to doing things with Ava, until she left…

That’s when I met Heather. She wasn’t like those other girls I met; she was pushy, outspoken, and brazen.

“You know … you’re kind of a punk.” She said to me one day at tutoring, this was after I told her about myself.

“Everyone has an opinion.” I say handing her the notes.

“Do you do anything fun?” She says glaring at me.

“Hang out with friends I guess.” I said shrugging my shoulders

“You should come and hang out at the lake, there’s a camp fire going on. If you’re interested.” She said like she was undressing me with her eyes. Something was telling me it was a bad idea.

“If that’s what you call fun.” Is all I said as I grabbed my things to head out.

“See you there.” She said sizing me up in and down before leaving.

I’ve known Heather ever since she started the tutoring sessions here, and never has she been interested in me.

I head home and when I check my email I haven’t gotten messages from Ava.

It’s 8 PM and all I can think about is going to the lake, if I go and see what it’s like I’ll decided if I want to go or stay. I grab my car keys and head out again. I make it out to the lake and I could hear what Ava calls secular music playing all the way from the parking lot, and the smell of beer. There’s about 40 people here and its most of the kids from the tutoring. Couples making out obnoxiously under an oak tree, people skinny dipping/swimming in the lake and others are grinding to the music that’s playing. I soon make my way out when I decided that this is not what I call ‘fun’.

“Hey, leaving so soon?” I turn around and it’s Heather. She’s wearing jean shorts and a tank top and her breath smells like beer.

“Hey  ...” I say, nervously, hoping she won’t ask me to go back there again.

“Why don’t you stay for a while?” She says all pushy, but this time more hostile.

“Look ….” I say trying to think of how I’m going to get out of this one … I can’t help but to fall into the temptation.

“Stay!” She says sternly, and then her look softens again. She’s drunk, I think.

She throws herself at me and I’m stuck between my car and her. I try to slide out the other way but she grabs me by the collar and plants a wet kiss on my lips.

I pull away but I am too weak to stop what I have started, so we finish it.

I look up at Ava and just then, I am too weak to say no to Heather. I’m sure Ava will be okay with it, plus I’ve done enough for her. She said it herself.