Chapter 3: The Outshining

As the doubts about the accuracy of the Waters of Progression surfaced, the headmaster called for a careful re-examination, reigniting the crowd's curiosity. My second approach to the altar, much like the first, resulted in the water swirling into the same deep, mesmerizing purple. The number "100" floated above the basin, confirming my status as an unprecedented anomaly within Mystic Academy.

"Well, there goes any hope of a quiet life here..." I muttered to myself as speculative whispers spread like wildfire.

Until today, the highest recorded level had been a 60, held by the king's most esteemed general—a figure revered across the realm.

Among the restless crowd, Lydian's expression caught my eye—her face etched with fear and uncertainty. "I'm sorry, Lydian," I whispered under my breath, concerned that my sudden prominence might overshadow her path, which had been central to the game's narrative.

"Evelyn, manipulating the test is a grave offense. Explain yourself," demanded a professor, his stern voice cutting through the murmurs. He stood before me, skepticism clear on his face.

With my true background—a secret even here—I responded carefully, "Professor, I assure you, I did nothing unethical. The results were as surprising to me as to everyone else."

"Were you aware that your level was this high?" The professor's probing question added a layer of tension, piercing the growing murmur around us. His eyes, sharp and calculating, seemed to dissect every nuance of my reaction.

"No, Professor," I replied, maintaining a calm demeanor despite the churn of anxiety inside me. "I had no idea. I've always known I had some aptitude for magic, but such a score was beyond my expectations."

The crowd's whispers intensified, envy and suspicion brewing in the air. I could feel the weight of every gaze, the collective scrutiny pressing down on me like a physical force.

The professor nodded slowly, his expression still not quite convinced but he moved on. "Very well. Your abilities will be further evaluated in the practical assessments. For now, please join the others."

Relieved yet uneasy about the impending evaluations, I retreated to the edge of the room where I could gather my thoughts. Would they believe me if I told them the extent of my training, or would they see it as an absurd fabrication, too fantastical to be true?

Perhaps they'd believe me if I used my most powerful spell on the headmaster to prove my point. Wait, scratch that—I'm not trying to be the villainess here...

Shaking off the wild thought, I noticed it was finally Lydian's turn to approach the crystal. The room was still buzzing from my display as she stepped forward.

What followed fell on deaf ears from the crowd, their attention still riveted on me, the unexpected center of the academy's universe.

According to the game, Lydian was to proclaim her rare holy magic abilities and status as a commoner but her moment of declaration seemed to fade into the background against the spectacle of my unprecedented score. The typical narrative arc where she would rise from obscurity was now overshadowed by the intrigue surrounding me.

With the ceremony's close, the headmaster ushered us towards the ensuing celebration. The students' laughter and chatter slowly displaced the earlier tension, drawing us into the promise of the evening's festivities.

Reluctantly swept along by the crowd, I headed towards the grand hall for the celebration. Despite my hesitation, the idea of fading into the shadows at the party seemed like a reasonable plan. I could probably observe Lydian some more, and then make a discreet exit before I became the subject of any more unwanted attention.