Chapter 24: A Fateful Letter and a Return to Sender

After an intense series of training sessions with Lydian, the tranquility of the morning was shattered by the arrival of a mysterious, elegantly sealed letter. The handwriting was unfamiliar, bearing the seal of a crest I had almost forgotten—the Vancourt family emblem.

Lydian, noticing my abrupt silence and the change in my demeanor, looked concerned. "What's wrong, Evelyn? You've had a scary face for a while now..."

"It's just family stuff... I need to go home and take care of some things," I muttered, trying to mask the turmoil inside with a dismissive wave. "Sorry, Lydian, we might need to pause our sessions for a bit."

Her eyes widened with worry, but she nodded, understanding the gravity of whatever was contained in that envelope. "Just be safe, okay?"

I nodded, clutching the letter a bit tighter as she left.

Back in my room, I broke the seal with a deep breath, unfolding the paper to reveal a message penned in a rushed yet demanding tone. It was from my parents—or rather, the distant figures who bore that title—requesting, no, insisting, that I return to the estate. And not just alone; they assumed I would bring along a partner, someone of notable standing, fitting their aspirations and social schemes.

The reality was far different. There was no partner, no prestigious alliance, just me—someone they'd likely deem unworthy of the family name. Ignoring the letter wasn't an option. I was determined to confront my past and settle matters before facing the demon king.

With resolve, I packed for my journey, unsure of what awaited in the town where I was raised—a place of isolation, not nostalgia.

Before reaching the estate I had to go through my old hometown. Interestingly enough I felt no nostalgia. Most of my life growing up was spent either exploring dungeons or studying alone in my room. In some ways, it mirrored my pre-isekai life.

As I made my way through the narrow lanes towards the Vancourt estate, a commotion in the town square caught my attention. A small crowd had gathered, their voices a blend of jeers and laughter that prickled my ears with discomfort. Curiosity, coupled with a sense of duty, pulled me towards the scene.

There, in the center of the circle formed by onlookers, a young boy with jet-black hair was surrounded by several children his age. Their taunts were sharp, cutting through the chill air like knives.

"Crow!" one shouted.

"Go back to the shadows where you belong!" another jeered.

The boy's face was stoic, but his eyes brimmed with unshed tears. He was trying to stand tall, but the weight of the words seemed to crush him more with every passing second.

Despite not knowing the boy, my past—the isolation and the dirty looks for my own dark hair—resonated with his trouble. My step forward was decisive, breaking through the circle. The crowd, surprised by my authoritative interruption, fell silent. "Enough!" I commanded, my voice cutting through the chill air. The children backed away, their faces showing surprise and fear.

I knelt beside the boy, offering a smile that I hoped was reassuring. "Are you alright?" I asked gently.

He nodded, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. "Yes, thank you," he murmured, his voice small but grateful.

Looking at him closely I realized his hair wasn't completely black, Just a dark gray similar to Ethan's hair.

"What's your name?" I asked, standing and dusting off my hands.

"Leon," he answered, his voice a little stronger now.

"Leon, I'm Evelyn. I know it's not easy, but you're not alone." My words were a promise, not just to him but to myself, to stand against the injustices that had once made my own life unbearable.